Centerpiece fish

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m looking for a peaceful centerpiece fish for my 45g bowfront that can be kept as a single. Temp is 76, all other tank mates are peaceful. No gouramis or bettas please, they’re not peaceful.

Best Answer - View qldmick's answer

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
erinw347 said:
I’m looking for a peaceful centerpiece fish for my 45g bowfront that can be kept as a single. Temp is 76, all other tank mates are peaceful. No gouramis or bettas please, they’re not peaceful.
Get a platinum angel

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I always liked my golden wonder killifish. The only difficulty is they have very large mouths and might bug your small clown killifish or endless. I am not positive but I think that some apistogrammas are relatively peaceful.

My school of black skirt tetras was great. They are larger and were always an active school.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
An angelfish will probably eat a lot of those smaller fish. You'll need something with a smaller mouth.

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
erinw347 said:
10 cories, 6 kuhli loaches, 3 clown killifish, 2 male endlers, 1 BN, 1 clown pleco, a few snails. I plan on adding a school of tetras, not sure which kind yet.
erinw347 said:
10 cories, 6 kuhli loaches, 3 clown killifish, 2 male endlers, 1 BN, 1 clown pleco, a few snails. I plan on adding a school of tetras, not sure which kind yet.
the serpae tetras are cool I have 10 but I also like Congo’s but the angel fish would make a great centerpiece

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Why no gourami? Honeys aren't aggressive, if the only con is the aggression I think you could have a trio of those. I believe you can also do scarlet badis.

I would not do angelfish.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like a dwarf cichlid would be your best bet. They’re peaceful enough and if kept single they shouldn’t show aggression. Bolis are generally very well mannered in communities and apistos are another option as well.

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
flyinGourami said:
Why no gourami? Honeys aren't aggressive, if the only con is the aggression I think you could have a trio of those. I believe you can also do scarlet badis.

I would not do angelfish.
I had a dwarf gourami that killed 5 of my fish, and honey gouramis need groups. Just bad experience, not ready to try again.

Nikao

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I thought putting more than one male gourami in the tank would cause too much aggression.

Probably put one male and three female.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FreshwaterFins99 said:
A group of 3-5 honeys seem fun to watch. Add more business to the tank.
True, but I think having that many fish in a 45 would be pushing it. There’s already quite a few groups of fish with another school being planned to be added. But honest are fun fish! Particularly when kept in groups like needed!

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
erinw347 said:
I had a dwarf gourami that killed 5 of my fish, and honey gouramis need groups. Just bad experience, not ready to try again.
Pearl gouramis can be in groups, but I don't think they need to be. They're beautiful fish, and not aggressive.

erinw347 said:
I don’t want to do any gouramis.
Okay.

lojack

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol @ this thread, OP says they don't want gouramis and everyone keeps recommending them.

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes like I understand there are peaceful gouramis, I still just don’t want any. I’m a little traumatized from the one I kept. I want a single, peaceful fish.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lojack said:
Lol @ this thread, OP says they don't want gouramis and everyone keeps recommending them.
Because they are a good fish. But yeah they dont want bettas either but I've kept bettas in communities with no aggression. It all depends on the fish's personality.
I'd reccomend something like a molly (they get a decent size) and whole they dont school I do think they like having their own kind around. So a pair of females would work.

New Threads