Centerpiece fish?

1. Grumpyfish32 Member Member

Hey guys so recently I have finished cycling my 3rd tank! It's so exciting! Anyways I was looking for a centerpiece fish for the tank the tank is a 14 gallon tank. Also I don't think I want a dwarf gourami because most of them kept on in my other tanks, I think it was the Iridovirus thing :( But yeah I'm open to all suggestions thank you!!!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What else is in the tank? What are the dimensions?

A honey gourami may work!

3. Grumpyfish32 Member Member

Hi sorry for the long reply I was trying to look for my measuring tape:) So the dimensions are [FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]15 x 15.6 x 15.6 inches :)[/FONT]

4. ToddHendrix Member Member

Depending on the other fish in the tank, if there are any, I agree with a honey or maybe a dwarf gourami

5. Grumpyfish32 Member Member

Ah ok thanks! Is there any other centerpiece fish I could do? Because I only plan on placing a small group of tetras maybe 5 and the centerpiece fish? Or could I do an only species tank with maybe only 2 fish but don't have an idea of what to put. Thanks!

6. Nicoldeme Member Member

It would be really cool to have a betta centerpiece! If you find a good one, they can be the most amazing and loving fish! I own two, both in communities :)

7. Grumpyfish32 Member Member

Hi! I've been researching about that lately as well but how do I find a peaceful betta? Also I don't think my flow would work for it because my flow rate is 106gph I think? :)

8. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Betta Betta Betta lol. I have my Betta in with 6 neon tetras. So at the store put the cups next to each other and let them see each other and pick the prettiest non-aggressive one there. Have the school in there first and add him and just watch for a solid hour and make sure there's no aggression. My Betta tried to chase them at first but they are at least 3x as fast as him. Now he doesn't bother. He really could care less about them. Mine is 125 gph and I have the intake behind my rock wall and the waterbottle method to baffle the falls and I put it on the lowest stream setting.

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't put a betta in a community tank.

With that small length, I'd stick with very small schooling fish. What about something like this:
    8x Chili rasbora
    3-4x Asian stone catfish
    2-4x Scarlet badis (1 male, 1-3 females)

10. ToddHendrix Member Member

Bettas are beautiful, and have good personality, but there's a lot of controversy with keeping them in community tanks. Especially if youre going to get tetras, it wouldn't be a good idea since they fin nip a lot. There are some loopholes, you can make a filter baffle, get some neon or ember tetras who don't really fin nip, and get a female betta who are usually more peaceful than the males. But I think the safest route is getting a sunset, honey, or dwarf gourami.

11. Grumpyfish32 Member Member

thank you so much! I think I'll try that at my LFS:)

Hmmm the scarlet badis does souls like a good Idea I'll check that out with my LFS when I go there tomorrow thank you!

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't put neons in your tank (and they're not temp compatible with bettas). Your tank has a very short length, and it's a bit tricky to stock as only very small fish will be comfortable in there.

If you go with a betta, I'd only add shrimp and inverts in. There's no guarantee your betta won't attack the fish (or the fish won't stress the betta), and why risk their health for your selfish interests? Just my opinion. Bettas should be by themselves - they're not social fish and they don't "enjoy" company.

If you do want to try a community tank with a betta, you need a minimum of a 20 gal long tank. Your tank isn't big enough for a betta community anyway.

13. Grumpyfish32 Member Member

Yeah I'm starting to slowly see that too, but I have a question if one of my dwarf gourami me died from iridovirus and I get another one for my old tank would he be infected with it or would he be alright? Thanks!

14. Grumpyfish32 Member Member

Yeah I wasn't really gonna get neon tetras or a betta because I don't find it suite for my filter. I might just go with 4 Scarlet Badis 1 male and 3 female in my 14 gal. Should I heavily plant the tank or are a few just fine? Thanks!:)

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would heavily plant it. The more hiding places you have, the more often you'll see them :)

16. ToddHendrix Member Member

Argh my bad. For some reason I thought it was a 20 gal lol I reread it's a 14. I like your stocking list better than mine lololololol

17. hattie Member Member

You could do all schooling fish. Like a group of tetras and some danios or Guppies. You could also have some sort of ram as the centerpiece fish because they get along with most fish.

18. Grumpyfish32 Member Member

Thanks every one! I'll just heavily plant my 14 gal and add the 4 scarlet badis! Thank you!

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They might benefit from some dither fish, and a really small schooling fish like Chili rasbora would work well! There are other options if you don't like those.

20. hattie Member Member

I hope it goes well!