Centerpiece Fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Noviceguy15, Jul 29, 2015.

1. N

Noviceguy15 New Member Member

Is there any centerpiece fish suitable for a 15 gallon tank? I was looking at honey gouramis, or maybe a betta. Thanks!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bettas in community tanks can be hit & miss, I'd go with the honey gourami.

3. L

Lagiacrus New Member Member

Ditto on the honey gourami. I would aim for a female, granted the ones in fish stores are probably too young to sex.

I have a female in my twelve gallon tank and it has never shown any aggression. Just make sure you have a place for it to hide, and they also appreciate plants for cover and to nip at algae.

4. Aqua Hero

Aqua Hero Well Known Member Member

you could get a paradise fish. they look pretty awesome

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Paradise fish are aggressive and a 15 gallon would be too small I believe.

6. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

May depend on the rest of your stock. For example, if you've got a bunch of male endlers (or some other small fish like chili rasboras or celestial pearl danios) in a 15 gal, 2 colorful male guppies could be considered centerpiece fish!

7. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

It's actually really easy to sex honey gouramis at any age since males are the colorful ones and females are dull. There's a very good chance that you won't be able to find a female in stores since most people don't want to buy them because of their grayish coloring. I was lucky and saw a female in the tank that I got my red honey a few days ago. Didn't get her, but it was a cool find!

Also, even males typically don't show aggression unless with other males of their species, they're very peaceful! So if you want a really beautiful fish, I'd go with a male honey!

What are the dimensions of the tank? A honey gourami would not be suitable for a 15 gallon column, but I believe they are okay for standard 15 gallons as they have the same footprint as a 20 high

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Paradise fish grow up to 5" so they won't work in this tank size.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice