Centerpiece Fish Ideas 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Gamer, May 24, 2018.

1. Gamer

GamerWell Known MemberMember

DRq2DLI.jpg

I am wanting a 40 gallon with centerpiece fish only, or mostly. No shoals really although if the fish I choose are compatible I may be open to cardinals.

I'm interested in stocking the tank around cockatoo cichlids, gouramis or firemouths. But I am wondering also if these can be in an entirely artificial environment or if they thrive better with plants or more natural setups with more wood, rock, etc..?

2. DaloAquatics

DaloAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Why not a blood parrot cichlid? I have one and they have so much personality and that tank would be good for its whole life.

3. HORNET1

HORNET1Well Known MemberMember

I'm not normally fond of ornaments in a tank, but I really like your scape.
    It reminds me of Lara Croft Tomb Raider.
    Congratulations on a job well done.

4. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    Gamer

@DaloAquatics I do have 3 BPC's in my 125 gallon. I think if I added one to this tank would mean to mess up the entire scape lol, mine are pretty messy.
    @HORNET1 Thanks. Appreciate it. I love Tomb Raider, Rise of Tomb Raider and am looking forward to Shadow of Tomb Raider...maybe I secretly learned from those games!
    @Mazeus I think I may want one

What about
    1 Pearl Gourami
    3 Honey Dwarf Gouramis
    1 Siamese Algae Eater

6. wpascarelliNew MemberMember

That might work if you dont have any other fish in the tank. I posted on here looking for a fish with alot of energy and personality to go in my tank that already had a bunch of Congo tetra in it and everyone recommended Pearl Gourami so I got them, but after a few weeks mine are super shy wallflowers who stay in the background and do not seem to be enjoying it at all. Im dissapointed with them but maybe in your setup where you dont have many other fish the Gourami might enjoy it and stand out more.

7. Hunterhusker

HunterhuskerValued MemberMember

I'd reccomend not a Siamese algae eater after a while they attack fish and dont eat much algae. I personally am a huge pleco guy. Love them to death. Small plecos would be like bristlenose or the even smaller rubber lip. I love those in my tanks right now, beware though I upgraded my bn pleco to a bigger tank and he is being a dick right now and messing up my sand. He likes to dig. Both of those work in 20 gallons so you could get buy with one or the other or both. Or two of one. Love me some plecos.

8. OP
    OP
    Gamer

Well ok, I'll do that instead. Many plecos stay under 4" even. I will for sure scratch the SAE off as an option thanks

OK so next question...Betta sorority I'm considering. 6 in that tank above or would more hiding be required in you guys opinions?

9. Hunterhusker

That would be beautiful. The personality and beauty of bettas really works well in groups. Yeah, just keep it greater than three females. Also dont accidentally buy a plykat male while you are being stupid haha. I may have done that.

10. OP
    OP
    Gamer

Well I think I made not a bad move. I got ONE dwarf gourami too. Cool so far. The stock includes 6 female bettas. Sold as female bettas anyway. Let's hope it's a good stock, if not I'm stuck with them. I could remove the gourami if needed btw. I have more tanks.

CjOgPRN.jpg

KFbHu8Q.jpg

IT8ytYS.jpg

KZo3mCR.jpg

A1cwrtn.jpg

11. Hunterhusker

Yep those look like all females to me. One thing I learned when I accidentally had a male in with my females if their gill has a "beard" its a boy. If you have a male betta look at his gills there should be a black piece sticking out. Girls don't have that, or its super small.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice