Centerpiece Fish ideas

1. AllAboutTheBay Member Member

Hello,

I'm new to fish keeping. I have two betta tanks already, and will soon be getting a 29g aquarium that I will set up as a planted, freshwater community tank. I've still trying to decide how to stock it once I get it set up (planted, cycled, etc...) I'm pretty set on getting the following:

6 - panda corys
    12 - cardinal tetras
    1 or 2 - TBD centerpiece fish

I'm not sure what to do about a centerpiece fish. I LOVE the look of the opaline gourami, but I've been reading that they are too big and/or too aggressive for this set up. Thoughts? Does anyone have suggestions on another centerpiece fish?
    I would like a larger fish (4-5 in) and colorful (blue is my favorite color so bonus points for that) and does well in a community.

2. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Electric blue rams!

3. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Have you considered an angelfish?

4. Charles556 Member Member

+1 to Angelfish. If you can find a "super red" koi angelfish, that'd make a great centerpiece. However, if you prefer the color blue, there are also "German Blue" angelfish as well. You'd just have to swap out the pandas for Corydoras sterbai or aeneus.

5. AllAboutTheBay Member Member

Would the angelfish or the rams go after the tetras? (Also, I would be able to use bandits instead of pandas too. I like the black/white look and I think they have higher temps requirements)

6. Aquatica88 Member Member

7. Graphix Well Known Member Member

It's a common match up and plenty of people have had this sort of set up before without issues. I don't think angels or rams would kill the tetras, nothing more that chasing them off.

8. Daniel W Member Member

Possibly a pair of honey gouramis?

9. AllAboutTheBay Member Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking through some user's tanks for some more combinations as well and came up with another variation:

- 6 Corys (Julii, Sterbai, or Bandit)
    Didn't realize pandas do better in cooler waters.

- 2 Bolivian Rams

- 1 Dwarf Gourami

- 12 Cardinal Tetras -OR- 8 Green Tiger Barbs.

Thoughts?

10. Daniel W Member Member

Don't try for the tiger barbs. They will bully and nip your cories.

11. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

I agree with Daniel W tiger barbs are incredibly feisty things and IMO best kept with other barbs or tough cichlids who can hold their own.

12. Aquatica88 Member Member

I have no personal experience with them, but anecdotal evidence I've heard from others has led me to believe that tiger barbs do best in a species-only tank with a large school of them - that way nobody else gets bullied and they keep themselves busy.

13. AllAboutTheBay Member Member

Alright, to Tiger Barbs are definitely out. If I go with the cardinals instead and the rest of my list, will the tank be overstocked?

14. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I think that would be fine. I'd even say you could probably bump the cories up to about 8