Centerpiece fish for my 40 gallon tank?

NotLucy

New Member
Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
HI everyone!
I've had my second tank running for about three months now and it's been doing great. It's a 160 liter tank (~42 gallons) and right now I have 10 red eye tetras and 10-11 peppered cories (one of them is just a few weeks old so I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to keep it alive). The tank is planted, but not very heavily. The length is 100 centimeters (~40 inches), depth and height are both 40 centimeters (~16 inches)

Here's where I need your help: although I absolutely love to watch my cories and tetras, I really want to get one or two "centerpiece" fish, preferably ones that are more colorful.

Here's some options that I've been considering:
1 angelfish
1-2 kribensis cichlids
1-2 pearl gouramI (or other gouramies?)
1-2 yellow labidochromis

If you have another suggestion, please let me know! And of course, let me know whether some of my suggestions wouldn't work out.

Thanks in advance!
 

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,522
Reaction score
3,746
Location
Smyrna, TN
Probably the most colorful that come to mind are the dwarf gourami/sunset thicklip gourami/honey gourami. Pearl Gourami's would be fine too.

There may be some cichlids out there that might work but I'm not a cichlid expert and since the peppered cories are a low temp cory I know the German Blue Ram's are out. Bolivian Rams may work but they aren't as colorful and you are looking for color.

I've heard kribs are good community fish but having no experience with them I'll defer to others with more. And there are plenty of angelfish people in this forum so they should be able to help out. Anders247
 

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,447
Reaction score
10
Experience
3 years
The labis won't work, they require an entirely different pH than your current fish, they are from Lake Malawi.
I would recommend the kribs, peaceful and easygoing. I have two in my 75.


 

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
A pair of apistogramma borelliI would do well in cooler temps.
 

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,447
Reaction score
10
Experience
3 years
JeffK said:
A pair of apistogramma borelliI would do well in cooler temps.
Good luck trying to get them though, they're pretty rare.
 

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dom90 said:
Good luck trying to get them though, they're pretty rare.
True - they'd most likely have to be ordered from eBay or aquabid.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
N

NotLucy

New Member
Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
do you think other types of apistogrammas would work?
 

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,447
Reaction score
10
Experience
3 years
Yes, try Apistogramma AgassizI (I have one in my 75), Apistogramma Cacatuoides, or like I said, Kribensis work and they're cute!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
N

NotLucy

New Member
Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Thank you all very much for your advice! I think I might just go for some Kribensis, they're so pretty (and don't seem too difficult, hehe)
 

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,447
Reaction score
10
Experience
3 years
They're not, I have two of them in my 75 gallon and they're very colorful. Kribensis are generally peaceful and easygoing fish that do well in community environments.
 

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,447
Reaction score
10
Experience
3 years
Good luck getting one of those too.


 

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
30,057
Reaction score
4,293
Location
Lwhekk, Ssi-ruuvi Imperium
Experience
5 to 10 years
NotLucy said:
HI everyone!
I've had my second tank running for about three months now and it's been doing great. It's a 160 liter tank (~42 gallons) and right now I have 10 red eye tetras and 10-11 peppered cories (one of them is just a few weeks old so I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to keep it alive). The tank is planted, but not very heavily. The length is 100 centimeters (~40 inches), depth and height are both 40 centimeters (~16 inches)

Here's where I need your help: although I absolutely love to watch my cories and tetras, I really want to get one or two "centerpiece" fish, preferably ones that are more colorful.

Here's some options that I've been considering:
1 angelfish
1-2 kribensis cichlids
1-2 pearl gouramI (or other gouramies?)
1-2 yellow labidochromis

If you have another suggestion, please let me know! And of course, let me know whether some of my suggestions wouldn't work out.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to fishlore!
No rams would work, neither bolivian nor german.
The yellow labs are mbuna and too aggressive to be in a community tank.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
156
Guests online
2,586
Total visitors
2,742

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom