Centerpiece fish for my 40 gallon tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by NotLucy, Jul 8, 2015.

1. N

NotLucy New Member Member

Hi everyone!
    I've had my second tank running for about three months now and it's been doing great. It's a 160 liter tank (~42 gallons) and right now I have 10 red eye tetras and 10-11 peppered cories (one of them is just a few weeks old so I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to keep it alive). The tank is planted, but not very heavily. The length is 100 centimeters (~40 inches), depth and height are both 40 centimeters (~16 inches)

Here's where I need your help: although I absolutely love to watch my cories and tetras, I really want to get one or two "centerpiece" fish, preferably ones that are more colorful.

Here's some options that I've been considering:
    1 angelfish
    1-2 kribensis cichlids
    1-2 pearl gourami (or other gouramies?)
    1-2 yellow labidochromis

If you have another suggestion, please let me know! And of course, let me know whether some of my suggestions wouldn't work out.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Probably the most colorful that come to mind are the dwarf gourami/sunset thicklip gourami/honey gourami. Pearl Gourami's would be fine too.

There may be some cichlids out there that might work but I'm not a cichlid expert and since the peppered cories are a low temp cory I know the German Blue Ram's are out. Bolivian Rams may work but they aren't as colorful and you are looking for color.

I've heard kribs are good community fish but having no experience with them I'll defer to others with more. And there are plenty of angelfish people in this forum so they should be able to help out. Anders247

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

The labis won't work, they require an entirely different pH than your current fish, they are from Lake Malawi.
    I would recommend the kribs, peaceful and easygoing. I have two in my 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

A pair of apistogramma borellii would do well in cooler temps.

5. Dom90

Good luck trying to get them though, they're pretty rare.

6. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

True - they'd most likely have to be ordered from eBay or aquabid.

7. OP
    OP
    N

do you think other types of apistogrammas would work?

8. Dom90

Yes, try Apistogramma Agassizi (I have one in my 75), Apistogramma Cacatuoides, or like I said, Kribensis work and they're cute!

9. OP
    OP
    N

Thank you all very much for your advice! I think I might just go for some Kribensis, they're so pretty (and don't seem too difficult, hehe) :)

10. Dom90

They're not, I have two of them in my 75g and they're very colorful. Kribensis are generally peaceful and easygoing fish that do well in community environments.

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Laetacara Dorsigera ?

12. Dom90

Good luck getting one of those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    No rams would work, neither bolivian nor german.
    The yellow labs are mbuna and too aggressive to be in a community tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice