Centerpiece fish for high light?

Otocinclus13

COVID tank update. I've been keeping low-tech, low-light planted tanks for a few years now, and I'm ready to branch out into high light plants (no CO2). I'm looking at the BeamsWork DA FSPEC LED light (with dimmer), which is rated for medium to high light in a 20g long tank. Please excuse the mess: I'm fussing with the hardscape and don't want to move plants until I'm happy with the rest of it. It's a well-established tank with weekly water changes of 25%, currently set at 78 degrees, mostly low current because the driftwood disperses the current from the filter.

My current 20g long stock is 6 black neons (will be 10 eventually), 5 otocinclus, 8 kuhli loaches, and a few amanos (the serpaes/white skirts in the photo are only visiting while I rework another tank). Originally I was considering a pair/trio of honey gourami as my centerpiece fish, but I know they prefer low light conditions. Now I'm thinking maybe a pair of bolivian rams. Are they comfortable under bright light conditions? Or does anyone have any other centerpiece suggestions? There are lots of hiding places, but I don't want a fish that will be constantly stressed and hiding from the "sun." Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210117_212135.jpg
    20210117_212135.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 26

FishSupreme

How about an Apistogramma. I don't know about the black neons, but they work well with all the other fish on your list.

Upvote 0

Otocinclus13

In all my thinking about rams, I completely forgot about all the other dwarf ciclids! I've never kept apistos, so that's a really interesting idea. Thanks

Upvote 0

FishSupreme

A bit more tricky then rams, but a joy to keep as well.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I have kept honey gourami in a high light planted tank, and they didn't seem bothered by it. So, based on my experience at least, I think they could still be an option.

Upvote 0

Otocinclus13

I have kept honey gourami in a high light planted tank, and they didn't seem bothered by it. So, based on my experience at least, I think they could still be an option.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you have any floating plants in the tank? I was hoping to also branch out into small shrimp (already have amanos), and I imagine honeys would be much better than dwarf ciclids in terms of coexisting with a shrimp colony.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you have any floating plants in the tank? I was hoping to also branch out into small shrimp (already have amanos), and I imagine honeys would be much better than dwarf ciclids in terms of coexisting with a shrimp colony.
I didn't have any floating plants, but I did have a number of cryptocorynes that grew up to and along the surface. I had amanos in there too. I've never had a problem with honey gourami picking on amano shrimp.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
NofishB4
  • Question
Replies