Centerpiece Fish For 75 Gallon Subtropical

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sylviepld, Apr 14, 2017.

1. sylviepld

sylviepld Valued Member Member

Hi all. I know many people have posted about centerpiece fish and I have read many of the threads. Most of these didn't meet my parameters so I though I would put it out there. I am setting up a 75 gal. subtropical with moderate/good flow and moderately planted with jungle val along the back and some crypt type plants and bog wood in the middle ground. I plan to have the temperature at 75 degrees F. I would like a large centerpiece fish to go with the following fish I have decided on so far:
    15 bloodfin tetras
    5 cory cats
    15 harlequin rasboras (I would really like Dennison Barbs but very difficult to find)
    Maybe some river loaches
    How many more do you think I could keep. I would like to make my schools bigger if possible.

I already have an Angel fish in my 45 gallon so I don't want another one.
    I had liked the thought of a pair of German Blue Rams but the temp is not right and too hard for me to keep.
    I don't consider myself a super experienced fish keeper though I am not a beginner.
    **I just realized that this thread overlaps with another one that I made. Sorry if it's repetitive.

2. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

I'd do this, though I am no expert, just a fish researcher here ;) :

I'd do just one school of fish if you like big schools and want a centerpiece.

12-15x bloodfin tetra or harlequin rasbora
    8x panda cory cats
    1-2x honey gourami (centerpiece)

3. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

I just looked up the honey gourami - beautiful fish and in the correct temperature range. Would I get one or a pair? Are they fairly easy to keep? I just hope my LFS carries them.
    I also think a 75 gallon would be big enough for 2 schools of 15...don't you think?:emoji_grin:

4. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

They are very peaceful so you could do one or 2. Yes, they're easy from what I've heard.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

If you liked German Blue Rams, what about Bolivian Rams? They'd work ok keeping your tank at 75.
    Also, I'd up your cory cats to at least 8, maybe more.

6. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

Thanks. I looked up Bolivian Rams and it said that a sandy substrate is essential. I will have a river bottom substrate (large gravel and stones)

7. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

Thanks for the links. Could the gouramis handle the current? I just read that their usual habitat is in sluggish waters.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  8. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

A 75 gallon is big enough for 2 schools, maybe even 3.

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, you can easily do two schools of 15 in this size tank.

I would up your group of cories to 15 as well.

I would do this as a whole:
    15 harlequin rasboras
    15 bloodfin tetras
    15 panda cories
    1 rainbow shark
    5 pearl gouramis
    1 rainbow cichlid
    1 firemouth

Keep the temp at 75 F.

10. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

I thought of the Rainbow Shark but the profile on Fishlore says that they are aggressive with other small fish that come into their territory. It seems that every fish I am interested in has some sort of issue...

11. Anders247

They aren't that aggressive, they should be fine in this size tank.

12. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Rainbow Shark may bite Corys don't you think? Mine bit my Whiptail repeatedly and I had to put my Whiptail in another tank where he is better off.

I think he would chase away the others as well, based on my observations (anything red would be chased).

13. Anders247

Maybe, but I don't see one doing it in this size tank. There's plenty of room.

14. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Replying to a later post here, but I'd do the Honey Gouramis. Had a pair (2 males) in my 20 long. Great fish, amazing personalities, no issues whatsoever. Sadly, my last one died on Tuesday.

15. aquatickeeper

Yeah, honey gouramis are peaceful and beautiful fish

16. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

I thought of those as well but according to their profile my tank would have to much flow for them.

17. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I don't think that would be a problem at all. Maybe you could do a pair of the friendlier apistos? (Dwarf cockatoo, Umbrella cichlid). I honestly think either the gourami or the Cockatoo would be your best bet, though.

18. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I'm a little worried about the substrate choice with cories. They really enjoy foraging in the sand. Would you consider having an area of sand in your tank, even if it wasn't the whole thing?

19. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

I am worried about sand because I have never used it. I'm worried that it would just make a mess and it is difficult to keep clean. Could I have just an area of sand without it spreading all over the place? My water flow will be pretty substantial. Is sand that difficult to use? If not I might use it more.

20. aquatickeeper

I use sand with no problems.

To clean the sand, you:

1. Use a gravel vac and just SKIM the sand so debris get suck up but sand doesn't.
    2. Use a net or a gravel vac (not on sucking mode) and rake the sand to prevent gas pockets.
    3. Then gravel vac (skim) after you done Step 2.
    4. Repeat the steps until you feel that you've sucked up all of the debris.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice