Centerpiece fish for 20 gallon?

TheFISH12

Hi I am new. I am looking for a centerpiece fish for a 20 gallon. I have 7 zebra danios and that's it.

TheFISH12

O.K. thanks! I'll keep that in consideration.

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

Thanks. I have looked into a German Ram before and they seem really cool and I think they would be a nice addition if I get one.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I second the honey gouramis, I am about to get some myself.
But you can always look into Scarlet Badis, Apistogramma, and maybe even a German Ram.

I wouldn't do that. German Blue Rams need much warmer temperature than the danios.

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

Oh, thanks! Didn't know that.

Upvote 0

kattiq

I wouldn't do that. German Blue Rams need much warmer temperature than the danios.
I did not know that either, thanks for clarifying that!

Upvote 0

KSo

Love my pearl gouramis so pretty! Maybe one male? I say one because I have a pair in a 36 and they sometimes get rowdy when my male thinks it’s breeding time. I think the honeys are beautiful as well. What is the overall look you want to see in your tank? I’m stocked, but I wish I would have thought more about colors. A honey would have popped against my black background and substrate. I’m missing red and yellows. Having mostly zebra danios and blue fish lol

Upvote 0

Daniodude

I would do pearl danios.

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

Love my pearl gouramis so pretty! Maybe one male? I say one because I have a pair in a 36 and they sometimes get rowdy when my male thinks it’s breeding time. I think the honeys are beautiful as well. What is the overall look you want to see in your tank? I’m stocked, but I wish I would have thought more about colors. A honey would have popped against my black background and substrate. I’m missing red and yellows. Having mostly zebra danios and blue fish lol
Pearl Gouramis seem cool! Some colors I want are blues, reds, yellows, oranges, or greens.

I would do pearl danios.
I like the look of the pearl danios but I already have 5 zebra danios. I am looking for something a bit bigger.

Upvote 0

Daniodude

They get a bit bigger.

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

Oh, then I'll consider them, but probably not as centerpiece.

Upvote 0

Meg123P

Hi, I wouldn't do pearl gourami in a 20 gallon, it's too small for a 5 inch fish. Zebra danios are hyperactive fish that could probably stress out a sedate fish like a gourami so that's to keep in mind. Maybe a bolivian ram could work but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheFISH12

Which fish should I get out of the three?

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

O.K. is 2 more good?

Angelfish get too big for a 29 gallon tank
Rainbow sharks are territorial and get pretty big
So Honey Gourami(s)?

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

A school of fish is like 6 minimum. Yes the honey gourami will work the best of the 3

Upvote 0

flyinGourami

I believe honeys could work, you could do a trio or something.
I would also get 5 more corydoras. Angels and sharks aren't gonna work to well in this tank.
I would also add 3-4 more otos?

Upvote 0

kanzekatores

2-3 honeys, and get at least 5 more corydoras, and a few more otos too

Upvote 0

Feohw

I agree on the honeys as well. I would do at least three.

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

2-3 honeys, and get at least 5 more corydoras, and a few more otos too
Can I fit that? I only have a 29 gallon.

Upvote 0

Feohw

Can I fit that? I only have a 20 gallon.
So this isn't a 29 gallon as the title says? I would add 3 honeys and 5 more corys. That would fit fine.

20 tall or long?

Upvote 0

kanzekatores

Can I fit that? I only have a 29 gallon.
Yup you can but you'd be at full stock.

Hold on is it 20 or 29 gallons?

Upvote 0

flyinGourami

I think a trio of honey gouramis, around 4 otos, 5(maybe add another one to make it 6) zebras and 6 corys could work in a 29 gallon. Make sure to get honey gouramis and the same species of corydoras.

Upvote 0

kanzekatores

In a 20 gallon the gouramis would be too much. Up the numbers of bottom dwellers and you'll be good. Maybe if you returned the oto or cory you could get the gouramis. 4 species of fish in a 20 is too much
Edit: It coud be doable with big Water changes

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

Ok. I'll prob do that then.

Upvote 0

RomeoOscar

Not sure about compatibility with the 3 fish. I just wanna say you need at least 6 corys and 6 otos. They are schooling fish and in nature, they are thousands together. I've kept single corys when I was new at this, the difference is incredible. Your cory is currently glass surfing a lot or hiding or showing other signs of stress, most likely, and would soon die. Get more of them. I've noticed 4 gets them schooling and not stressed. 6+ they thrive

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

I will probably return the oto and get 3 more corys then.

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

I think 2-3 honey gourami would be fine. They are not aggressive and great community fish. They can also live alone if your worried about stocking and just want to get 1. Just make sure they are actually honey gourami, not dwarf gourami. Honeys are smaller and have better temperament for semi-aggressive fish.

Upvote 0

flyinGourami

Okay is this a 20 or 29 gallon? I was under the impression that its a 29.. But now it sounds like its a 20?

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Okay is this a 20 or 29 gallon? I was under the impression that its a 29.. But now it sounds like its a 20?
the 20 was a typo. Its a 29 I believe

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

Yeah sorry about that its a 20. it was a typo

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Yeah sorry about that its a 20. it was a typo
Ohhhhh. yeah defiantly only 1 honey gourami if you will be getting one. First priority is taking care of the fish that still need groups on your tank

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

Yeah, I think I'll return the oto so I can get 3 corys and maybe 1 or 2 honeys

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Yeah, I think I'll return the oto so I can get 3 corys and maybe 1 or 2 honeys
Make sure you have a group of 6! Corys are schooling fish trust me, when they have the right numbers they are so much happier.

Upvote 0

TheFISH12

Will 4 be good?

I might not have room for 6

I was wondering if three otos could work in a 20 gallon. I know there schooling and should have 6 or more. My main concern is if there will be enough algae for the three of them?

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

I might not have room for 6
In a 20g, you should be able to have 6 corys. Your other stocking shouldn't be too much, especially if you will be returning the other otto

Upvote 0

RomeoOscar

I have 6 corys in a 20g tank. Albino kind. My mistake since they grow a bit. But they're perfectly fine for now. They're always schooling, specially when resting. It's so cool. In my case gonna upgrade to 50g. You could return whatever cory you have and get like 6-8 pigmy corys

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

The stocking for a 20g should be fine. Will there be anything else in the tank? If its a new tank there will be no food for them already in the tank built up. You will have to add special algae food for them. This is fairly easy to do and will make a good home for them. Just look online for a good food for otos.

Upvote 0

goldface

Three is fine in a 20g. Whether you can provide for them is a different thing entirely. Every tank is different and has variables to consider.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom