Centerpiece Fish For 15 Gal

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally think that both of those fish need bigger tanks (20 long, especially for the rasboras) so I'd say no.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was poking around seriously fish because I thought you were WAY off on the tank inhabitants. I don't always agree with them as I think they are often too conservative. They were saying a small group of pandas in a 10 gallon (blew my mind) and harlequins in a 24 x 12 tank. I looked up tank dimentions for a 15 gallon and it is saying 24 x 12 x 12.
I'm not strict on stocking but I think you would be pushing it with 6 pandas and 6 rasboras. Both species get to about 2". There would not be any room for anything else.

penguin02

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree with what has been stated. In some cases overstocking can work, but only in larger tanks where you have more wiggle room. A 15 gallon isn't much better than a 10 gallon surface area wise.

CricketKeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My harlequins get about 1.5 inches. IMO you could do a few harlequins in a 24 by 12 inch tank, but they would look better in a 20 long. I have harlequins in a 20 gallon high ATM (going in a 20 long in a month, along with more of that species) but they don't school as much as they used to in a bigger tank. Now they only school if they're scared or eating. I wouldn't do pandas in a 24 by 12 inch tank. There are smaller, harlequin rasbora look alikes though. Seriouslyfish mentions them in the harlequin rasbora profile.

OP
Farlowella Fella

Farlowella Fella

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the replies, I had posted about the tank stocking a while ago and was recommended juliI corys for the tank so I assumed pandas would work too. I think I’ll start using the fishlore profiles for tank space requirements to be more conservative with my stocking in the future. I’ll keep an eye on the tank for now and make changes if I need to later.

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Farlowella Fella said:
Thanks for all the replies, I had posted about the tank stocking a while ago and was recommended juliI corys for the tank so I assumed pandas would work too. I think I’ll start using the fishlore profiles for tank space requirements to be more conservative with my stocking in the future. I’ll keep an eye on the tank for now and make changes if I need to later.
The Fishlore profiles are inaccurate and outdated. Use SeriouslyFish (my favorite) or Fishbase.

Susiefoo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Consider lampchop (espei) rasboras, they are smaller than harlequins but look extremely similar.

OP
Farlowella Fella

Farlowella Fella

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, SeriouslyFish suggests the following:

Panda Cory -
"A measuring 18″ x 12″ x 12″ (45cm x 30cm x 30cm) – 42.5 litres is adequate for a small group of these."

Harlequin Rasbora - Trigonostigma heteromorpha – Harlequin (Rasbora heteromorpha)
"Aquarium base dimensions of 60 ∗ 30 cm [24" x 12"] or equivalent should be the smallest considered since this species should be maintained in numbers."

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just confused as to how these conditions aren't met. I understand that exceeding the minimum is usually better but I have met the minimum requirements. I'm fairly new to the hobby so I'm still trying to build a reliable reference base. Your advice/experience is appreciated.

Thanks,
FF

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I kinda agree with them on the pandas, but I've owned harlequins and seen how active they are. I'd never put them in anything less than 30 inches.

rohanr

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think you’re fine. Keep it at 10 harlequin rasboras and 5 panda Cories. I would recommend some type of gourami. Honey, dwarf, or sparkling.

If you’re worried about your tank being overstocked I would recommend looking at aquadvisor. A lot of people think they’re bad but they are really good at giving you a general idea of your tanks stocking.

OP
Farlowella Fella

Farlowella Fella

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
rohanr said:
I think you’re fine. Keep it at 10 harlequin rasboras and 5 panda Cories. I would recommend some type of gourami. Honey, dwarf, or sparkling.

If you’re worried about your tank being overstocked I would recommend looking at aquadvisor. A lot of people think they’re bad but they are really good at giving you a general idea of your tanks stocking.
I'll probably add 2 more pandas to at least have 7 but like I said I'll keep an eye on the tank and if it seems like there's any issues or weird behaviour I'll try to make room in another tank or transfer to a 20 long if I can find one. I bought the tank on the understanding that it was a 20 long but foolish me, I didn't measure it until I got home, otherwise I wouldn't have this issue (maybe). So much for a good deal! :banghead: And I've self imposed a moratorium on tank purchases. :greedy:.

OP
Farlowella Fella

Farlowella Fella

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
...and with the planned stocking i'm only at 85% on AqAdvisor

vikingkirken

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think you're fine with the stock you're considering. Of course they would enjoy more room. My penguin tetras enjoy my 6' tank immensely, but they certainly don't NEED it.

I'd say start with six or so rasboras, particularly if you want a honey gouramI as rohanr suggested. You can always add to the rasboras numbers down the road once you get a feel for activity levels.

OP
Farlowella Fella

Farlowella Fella

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
vikingkirken said:
I think you're fine with the stock you're considering. Of course they would enjoy more room. My penguin tetras enjoy my 6' tank immensely, but they certainly don't NEED it.

I'd say start with six or so rasboras, particularly if you want a honey gouramI as rohanr suggested. You can always add to the rasboras numbers down the road once you get a feel for activity levels.
I've decided to forgo a centerpiece in exchange for larger schools of each, they're both interesting enough to watch as is, especially the panda corys. As the plant cover increases they're starting to be less skittish.

New Threads