Centerpiece fish for 10 gallon planted.

1. JRD6122 Initiate Member

Any ideas for a centerpiece fish in a 10 gallon planted. I'm not a huge fan of gouramis and bettas. Looking for other options. Maybe something to breed or just something really colorful.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. FiscCyning Member Member

Well you're somewhat limited with only 10 gallons, but how about guppies? What's your ph and hardness? That will make it easier to suggest fish.

3. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Ive got a planted 15g with RCS, CPDs and Dario Darios. They all do well together and provide a bit of colour swimming around the plants.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Do you already have fish in the tank, if so what fish & how many?

5. Anthony10 Member Member

Maybe a scarlet gem badis?

-Anthony

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They're tiny, wouldn't make much of a centrepiece even if you saw it amongst the plants.
    A 10 gallon doesn't give many options for a centrepiece fish & we've yet to find out if there are fish already in the tank.

7. JRD6122 Initiate Member

No fish yet. I probably will end up getting Khuli loaches or the small corys to put on the bottom. My pH is 7 on the dot. Temperature is around 72 but I could buy a heater if needed. If I was to get the scarlet badis, How many could I get?

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You could only really have 2-3 as the males can be quite territorial, if you could find females you could have one male & a few females.
    The females are quite drab in colour & not often imported, least we very rarely see females over here.

9. Anthony10 Member Member

Being that they only get an inch long, maybe 4 or 5? They do need a planted aquarium. They do great in species only tanks, but in the community setup they might have a hard time getting food.

-Anthony

10. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Certain killifish make great centerpiece fish. They would be fine in a smaller tank too! Their natural habitat is pretty extreme, some living and thriving in small leaf covered puddles when there is no stream to access. For your tank, I'd suggest Fundulopanchax gardneri. I'd go with a male/female pair.

Here is a picture of the male:
    [​IMG]

And the female in some floating water lettuce:
    [​IMG]

11. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

No kuhli loaches or cories will be suitable to this tank. A 20 long is the bare minimum for kuhlis, with a 29 gallon being preferable. I would say 15 gallons min for the smallest cories. Both species require schools and the more fish, the more space you need.

I would go with F. Gardneri killis if they interest you at all. With Scarlet Badis, you really, really should only have one male. You might be able to get away with two males if the tank is heavily planted, but only if there were broken lines of sight. You should also keep in mind that most Scarlet Badis will only accept live food. Ghost shrimp or very low grade cherries would be an okay food source, but in order to maintain food source in the tank, you could only really have one fish in the tank in order to keep it healthy. Otherwise you'd have to maintain an alternate live food culture.

Another idea would be a pair of peacock gudgeons, but they'd have to be the only fish in the tank. :)

Edit: Another thing about the scarlet badis is they're going to need fairly acidic water. You have to be able to get the pH down if you're going to keep them.

12. JRD6122 Initiate Member

I'm going to get khuli loaches for the 10 gallon as my bottom feeders. I have heard people say that it is too small but I have also heard from many that it is big enough and the loaches will be fine and happy.

13. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

live aquaria: 30 gallon minimum

seriously fish: 20 gallon minimum

fishlore profile: 20 gallon minimum

aquariumadvice: 20 gallon minimum, 30 better

I'm not sure what the other sources you are referring to, but I've always found it better to research for an answer and the overall consensus, rather than look for approval of a preconceived notion. Please do right by the fish and avoid the loaches. It will only be an expense to you when you need to restock later on... :-/

14. JRD6122 Initiate Member

I Googled khuli loaches in a 10 gallon and found numerous accounts of people saying that they were OK in the 10 gallon

15. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

You can google a lot of things that people do. Until they respond years later with the succesful full growth of the fish and a full life expectancy reached, you should take those searches with an extremely small grain of salt. I just googled Discus fish and koi in a ten gallon and found supporters for it. It doesn't mean those fish lasted longer than a month. But you've asked for advice from folks who really care for the well being of the fish and want you to be successful. You can choose whatever path to take with the loaches, but you are now well informed.

16. JRD6122 Initiate Member

Oh well... Still gonna do it. If I need to I'll just upgrade eventually I guess. I think they'll be fine though.

17. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

They won't be fine, though. The most beneficial part of asking for advice is actually following it, not asking and then saying "oh well, still gonna do it anyway" to everyone that took time to respond. It's harmful to the fish and a waste of our time.

18. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I urge you to take the advice you have been offered. You are setting yourself up for heartache, failure and disappointment. But, worse than that you are setting your fish up for a life of pain, suffering and sadness.

Plenty of us have been where you are now and it is not nice when things don't go to plan, you are proven wrong and your fish suffers . If you are willing to upgrade in the future and you have your heart set on the loaches, why not upgrade now?

It is your tank, your fish, your decision but please, you have asked for advice. I suggest you take it. The best of luck to you.xx

19. JRD6122 Initiate Member

Alright, guess I'll just get corys... It's so tempting though. If just one person backed me I would've went with the loaches. Where is this swap link thing?

20. celizabethh3 Member Member

The only cory that would might work in your tank would be a Pygmy cory or another one of the dwarf species, and even that would be pushing it ..

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum