Centerpiece fish for 10 gal?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jahnikar, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Jahnikar

Jahnikar Valued Member Member

My 10 gallon currently has approximately 20 endler's livebearers (ranging from adults to 2-day old fry), 3 panda cory catfish, one mystery snail and approximately 20 red cherry shrimp. I've been entertaining the possibility of getting some kind of centerpiece fish and was wondering if I could. I have a 5 gal cycling to be a growout tank for my endler fry, so soon there will be fewer of them in the 10 gal. I will eventually have only male endler's in the 10 gallon.

So back to my centerpiece question... I really like the looks of German blue rams and dwarf gourami. Would either of these be possible? What other suggestions do you guys have? I want something colorful with personality, which is probably why I love my endler's so much :)

2. Legures

Legures Valued Member Member

Either of those fish would work. You would have to keep up with your water changes because you are pretty tight on space. Dwarf Gouramis might be a little aggressive so you could try Honey Gouramis instead. But it just depends on the fish's temperament level.

3. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Before you think about getting more fish, I would either move your cories to a bigger tank and up the school (they need to be in schools of at least 6, but 6 won't fit into a 10 gallon) or rehome them. When you move some endlers over to other tanks, how many will be remaining in the 10 gallon? As of now, you really don't have room for any more fish, sorry :(

4. Fall River

Fall River Valued Member Member

I agree with Dolphin. Once you have your current stock sorted I'd suggest a Dwarf Gourami. I have a Flame Dwarf in a 20h (same footprint as a 10). He's great looking and has a lot of personality!
    Honeys, I believe, need more swimming space than a 10 gallon provides.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have to agree with posters above, that your tank is pretty well stocked as it is.

As far as the Cory Cats are concerned, I agree that they do like company of their own kind and do best in groups. However, IMO and experience, sometimes the need of the tank has to come first. If you are in need of a bottom dweller or two, I would go ahead and keep what you have and not worry about adding more Cory's.

In the past I have kept a single Cory Cat that lived for 10 years with no buddies of its own kind. Granted, I always try to put my fish first but sometimes it doesn't work out that way, putting the needs of the tank first.

Ken

6. m

mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

How about some sparkling gouramis? You don't want the tank to be too crowded since you already have fish in there and the ram and DG would like a little more space than a 10 gallon plus they can be aggressive. I believe a honey would be fine too and they should live happily with the fish you already have in there. :)

7. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Its the other way around ;)

DGs get near 4 inches, where Honey's get about 2.

8. greenbeanette

greenbeanette Valued Member Member

Also a 10g has a significantly smaller footprint than a 20g. Your thinking of a 15g :)

9. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

i agree that once you move some of the endlers out that a honey or some sparklers would look nice. In a tank that will be by my definition a tad crowded a DG would be a bad idea.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  10. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

a 20H isn't the same as a 10g. a 20XH is the same as a 10, just taller. i forget the actual dimensions. but anyway.

once most of the endlers are out, i would also suggest a honey gourami, or 3-5 sparkling gouramis.

11. greenbeanette

greenbeanette Valued Member Member

I have both a 20g high and a 10g. Definitely not the same :p Don't know about the 20xh though :)

12. f

fishtankguy New Member Member

i have to say get a honey. i do HAVE to say that though because i have 2 and i love them:D they are very friendly and will fit in a 10 gal. i have my 2 in a 10 gal. but that is with only 3 fish. 2 honeys and a betta. so honeys will fit IMO.

13. OP
    OP
    Jahnikar

Jahnikar Valued Member Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm rather frustrated though, since it appears I've yet again fallen prey to the misinformation that runs rampant in this hobby. Before I got my cories I read an article that said they preferred to be kept in groups, with a minimum of 3 (could have sworn it was the Fishlore profile that said this but I could be wrong - it doesn't say that now :;dk ). After reading everyone's replies, I did some more researching and some articles are saying they shouldn't be kept in groups smaller than 10!

So I think I'll be holding off on the centerpiece fish idea. I need to get my Endler situation figured out first and foremost. Once we get our house remodelled, we'll be setting up a fishroom and I'll be getting a MUCH larger tank. The cories will be going into it and gaining several more friends of their kind :) Thanks again everyone for the advice!

14. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

10 cories is great, but you can have less. i have 7 albino and they all are happy, and i've had them for almost 2 years. i would get more than 3 though...imo 5 is the very minimum. but maybe holding off is a good idea. especially if you're going to get a larger tank. :)

15. m

mrgoogls Valued Member Member

No problem man! Glad to help a fellow fish keeper anytime. Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice