Centerpiece Fish(es)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by scrapin240, Aug 9, 2015.

1. scrapin240New MemberMember

Hi All,

I currently have my 50 gallon tank with some plants and stocked with the following

AquStockImage.png

5 of the Platys are fries at this point, and I really don't want any more fries personally.

My main question is that I would like to add a bigger fish(es) to my tank, and I was thinking a Discus or two. What are some other nice centerpiece fish that are not Anglefish?

If I do get Discus fish or any other recommended centerpiece fish(es), what should I do, qty, sex, etc. so I will not have a overstocking condition.

Thanks in advance,

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Don't get discus. They need groups of 6+ and need a higher temp than your fish.
    Albino cories and emerald cories need groups of 6+ of their own species.

I would do a gourami, maybe a blue/gold/opaline or pearl....

3. OP
    OP
    s

scrapin240New MemberMember

would 2 gouramis be too many to add?

4. Anders247

If it is a male and female pair, it wouldn't be too much but don't do two males together....

5. Paul1976New MemberMember

I would also say a male/female pair of Pearl Gouramis-A more peaceful species of Gourami and a beautiful fish IMO :)

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Also the danios would drive the discus nuts.

You need to be careful on the gouramis. They are the same family as the betta and males may fight and the males will harass the female. Generaly I keep single a gourami in a tank. I am fond of male pearl gouramis. I have this one in a 46 gal bow front.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  7. Anders247

Yeah, that would be another thing. Besides the temp differences, danios and WCMMs likely will be far too active and agitate the discus....

8. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks all!

I think I'm going to get the 2x Honey Gouramis.

Would I be pushing it if I finish at least the albino cory school in addition to the two Gouramis? I also expect to add another canister filter to my setup at some point.

9. Anders247

Are you sure the green/emerald cory is C. splendens? Can you get a pic of it? If it is C. aeneus, it will school with the albino, since they are the same species, just different color variants.
    I wouldn't say that would be pushing it. Just keep up on water changes.

10. OP
    OP
    s

I did have 3 Albinos and the 1 Emerald. 2 of the albinos died when I came back from vacation. The emerald is a little bigger than the Albino. Since the Albino has been alone, both have been "hanging" out together when they are relaxing

Let me know what you think of its species.

11. Anders247

That's an aeneus, as far as I can tell by the dorsal fin count. So you can get 4 more C. aeneus, whether it's the green color or the albino color.

12. OP
    OP
    s

So my LFS has blue Dwarf Gouramis..should I still just get a pair, or can more be had? I really don't want to them to breed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  13. OP
    OP
    s

I have also looked at Blue Rams, would that work in my tank?

14. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Multiple male dwarf gourami's is always a risky proposition. Sometimes it works, but mostly they will fight until one is dead. Dwarf gourami's almost exclusively come as males because the females are not as pretty so LFS don't sell them. So if you are going that route I would just do 1.

Blue Rams would be an option but again you want to make sure you get a male and female and not two males. The males will fight. You run the risk of the male and female not getting along though and not pairing up so even they may fight.

You could potentially do 1 of each. The DG will probably stay near the top and the ram will be a bottom dweller for the most part.

15. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Beware neon Blue Dwarf-females are blue as well and almost the same shape as males (instead if the other colorvariaties which have serious differences) So there is a serious risk you're getting two males = war !!

16. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Besides of that the Blue ones are the most prone to Iridovirus !!!

17. OP
    OP
    s

So we were at the LFS and my spouse is not usually into the hobby, but I showed her the Blue Gourami and she really liked it, so to kind of keep her in the mix and hopefully future approvals, we purchased it. I believe it may be a male, but not totally sure ... any help appreciated.

Also, she loved an Electric Blue Crayfish, but I am very hesitant to add to the mix with my school of corys and pleco down there, along with some of the platy fry running around. That she was not happy with, but I would rather exercise caution.

18. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It's a very bad idea to mix crayfish with fish. One might eat the other. Things can only end badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

19. OP
    OP
    s

Exactly what I was thinking. My tank is pretty peaceful, so I didn't want to add that to the mix. Glad I beat the guilt trip, and just used my head.

20. Anders247

Yes, that's a male.....and it's a dwarf gourami, not a blue gourami.
    Dwarf gourami is Trichogaster lalius and blue gourami is Trichopodus trichopterus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice