Center piece fish.

1. Devob415 Initiate Member

So I have a new 40ish gal octagon tank. Well not new,it's cycled. I have had it for over a month. I have one angel in there, and some neons, glow light, a couple platies, mollies and guppies. And cories and rcs for bottom....but I need some bigger fish. Thinking a few more angels, or some gouramis. I want some color. A lot of white in the tank. Current angel is a golden. Thoughts? Payday tomorrow and I'm going fish shopping! Also... Kuhlis?? Thoughts on them and if they'll be OK? Current readings are 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 10-20 nitrates. I love variety. Any suggestions are welcome!! Here's a picture
    [​IMG]

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Hi and welcome to the forum and glad you decided to join us. Can you tell us what are the dimensions of the tank It looks tall but somewhat narrow so it is hard to tell from pictures. Basically looking for the bottom foot print of the tank. Alison:;hi1

3. Devob415 Initiate Member

I think it's about 24" front to back and side to side. I'm not even sure of the gallons. I got it from my grandpa that he used 15+ years ago.
    [​IMG] (pic from one I originally set it up)

4. Devob415 Initiate Member

It's actually a hexagon. Oops. Too tired from work.

5. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I would stick with just the one angel as that doesn't have a lot of swimming room side to side. Your angel will get quite large eventually. have you thought about a small variety of pleco like a Bristle Nose pleco. they get to be 5 to 6 inches full grown, a school of 8 or 9 kuhli loaches would work maybe a school of harlequin rasboras to add some color to the middle of the tank. They color up nicely when they settle in. TexasDomer is good with stocking and can help. If you go with a pleco you need a piece of real driftwwod for them to rasp on. Alison:;hi1

6. Devob415 Initiate Member

Okay. Other random question. I have the hardest time of small plants staying planted. They always are floating all over my tank by morning and In so many little pieces you can't replant!!?

7. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

My guess would be the molly they tend to like plants especially nice tender ones plus the height of your tank makes it hard to get good light for plants down to the depth on the bottom, and give them enough light to grow . What plants are you trying to grow? Alison

8. Devob415 Initiate Member

Not even sure what some of them are. All low tech. But I've tried Java moss, a short clover like one. I currently have moneywort, Java fern, Anubias, wisteria, peacock something and a similar looking plant to moneywort, Amazon sword. But all small stuff gets torn up and spread throughout the tank. Even the stalks of money wort, wisteria and the peacock whatever gets torn up a lot. Have a lead weight holding them down until they root
    Also should I add flourish or something like that for the plants? Currently not adding anything special for em

9. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I don't use any ferts for the plants. It is fish waste only I have anubias, water sprite annacharis, and some marimo moss balls... Alison:;hi2