Center Piece Fish That Can Live With Panda Corys? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by elwe1996, Apr 28, 2019.

1. elwe1996

elwe1996Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have a 20 long with four adult Panda Corys and about 3 juveniles (I plan on re-homing most of the babies once they're big enough), three Amano Shrimp (going to be adding 4 more in about a week after quarantine), two Nerite Snails, and a male Guppy who will be getting two more friends (both male) in a week as well once they too have finished their quarantine. I lost my original center piece fish, which was a Dwarf Gouramis to an unknown illness along with another Guppy I had. So now that I've treated my main tank I would like to start repopulating it, and wonder what kind of center piece fish can live in the same water temps as Panda Corys?

Would another DG work or maybe a Bolivian Ram? I've tried researching as best I can about the two fish, but keep finding conflicting answers, or not enough info. I'm also planing on adding a school of six Harlequin Rasbora.

Also if knowing my filtration capacity helps I'm running an Aquaclear 30 on it, and will be putting my Aquaclear 20 back on it once it's done being used with the quarantine tank. I don't run carbon instead I have two sponges and usually one packet of bio rings on top, but at the moment I'm having a really bad diatom algae outbreak, and I removed the rings for Phosguard for the time being. The tank is also lightly planted.

2. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +866
    I suggest honey gouramis. You can have a pair or a single one. A very nice peaceful fish that will go well with all the other fishes you want to keep.

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,076
    Experience:
    2 years
  4. OP
    OP
    elwe1996

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    2 years
    Wouldn't a Pearl Gourami be to big for a 20 long? And @imba I was thinking about getting a Honey Gourami, but the only store near me that caries them (Petco) Don't appear to have healthy ones. Though I could be wrong about that. I still have trouble spotting the healthy fish from the sick fish.

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,076
    Experience:
    2 years
    They may be but i don't think they would be they aren't much of a swimmer in a sense their an upper to mid water column fish... Altho mine is in a55 ...so i guess yes a little more research may be necessary

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,724
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Apistogramma borellii

7. OP
    OP
    elwe1996

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    2 years
    @DoubleDutch isn’t the Apistogrammas a bottom dwelling fish that wouldn’t be thrilled with sharing it’s space with Corys?

8. JChi

JChiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +104
    Experience:
    5 years
    I think a Honey Gourami would be a nice choice - and for fish selection, I've discovered Aquabid and eBay recently! Gotta say, the fish I got from Aquabid came healthier than some of the fish I've gotten or seen at my LFS. So I'd recommend looking at buying fish online to get exactly what you want. The shipping can be $$ through some vendors, but others its totally reasonable. I was really surprised!

9. OP
    OP
    elwe1996

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    2 years
    I’ve only seen them sold in groups of six on Aquabid. Is there a way of messaging the seller to just get one or two. Also I am definitely going with the Honey Gourami, they seem perfect.

10. DoubleDutch

Ratings:
    +11,724
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Borelliis are quite okay with Corys.
    Cacatouides is differrent story.

11. JChi

JChiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +104
    Experience:
    5 years
    I did that! I reached out to the seller and negotiated a different deal. He was more than happy do work with me. Can’t hurt to try.

12. OP
    OP
    elwe1996

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    2 years
    @DoubleDutch do the borellii need to be in pairs or is one fine by itself? I was also doing some reading on them and from what I found they like to be in schools. Do you know if this is accurate? I don’t want to stress them.

13. DoubleDutch

Ratings:
    +11,724
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Pair or harem. No schooling fish

Last edited: May 16, 2019