Center Piece Fish In Molly Tank? Question

1. Waylandor Initiate Member

Hi every i have a moly tank and im wanting to put one or to larger fish in the tank ( but nothing longer than 5 inch) i have been recommended some matured angel fish but not to sure how i feel about them. Any other recommendations?

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

How big is the tank.

3. Waylandor Initiate Member

Its not a big tank only 25 gallons, thats why im stuck on what fish can go in and have no issues with space

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Are the mollies reproducing.

5. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't add anything. 20 is the minimum for mollies and they really need 30+. What I love doing is just setting up a livebearer colony and watch them breed.

6. Waylandor Initiate Member

Not at the moment but i do have a small set up for fry when they do though i also think a fish that would keep the population under control would be good

7. goplecos Well Known Member Member

The thing is mollies are awful tank mates. Especially in such a small space. They are so active and messy that you really need 40+ gallons to keep tank mates with them. What I would do is get a large showpiece sailfin or lyretail male molly.

8. mollybabes Well Known Member Member

My mollies are in a 40 gallon with a neon dwarf rainbowfish, 6 golden barbs, 1 rosy barb, 5 rummynose and some corys.

I know a bit overcrowded, but all of the fish in there are really old apart from my mollies

I agree. Get a sailfin. Trust me they reproduce so much. I started with 4 and now I have 14. It would be more but my oldest ones died.

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank?

10. Waylandor Initiate Member

Its a fluval accent, (30L x 12.5W x 18H inches)

11. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

OK, how many mollies do you have?

12. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know about anders, but I would def dump the molly idea and try to go for tetras and a center piece. If you really wanna keep mollies, then only have one to two. Since they get up to 5 inches and poop more than other livebearers you may have to do more water changes depending on your filter and other factors. I'm not saying you should dump them, but it's really your opinion if you wanna keep them or not.

13. goplecos Well Known Member Member

The setup really isn't ideal and in such a small space mollies will stress most tankmates. That's why imo a larger male molly would work best.

14. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What's your full stock currently?