center brace help

jerodquinn
HI there - I have a 40 gallon breeder tank 36x18. pretty sure its glass, I can see the silicone in the corners. I just bought a perfecto glass canopy, but it came in in 2 pieces and requires a center brace which I don't have.

if I can I want to add one myself. Just looking for advice on how to do it. I measured and it needs to be at least 2 inches wide I think for both covers but I'm sure wider is better? should it go on the top of the trim lip or bottom?

thanks in advance.

Jerod

image.jpg

MommaWilde
Hi, I've never had to make my own center brace before but I am pretty crafty. I'm sure there's gotta be a way to do it. Perhaps you could find a piece of plastic or a strip of wood that could be painted black to match and then sealed. I think yes wider would be better than not wide enough. On the tanks I have that came with center braces, it is inset on top of the inner trim lip. So I think placing it there would be best so your glass top sits as flush as possible.

That's the center brace on my 135. It's siliconed in.

This is the center brace on my 55. It's actually all one piece (the top frame and center brace).
If you could find a piece of long "T" shaped plastic of course that would be ideal. Maybe check hardware stores and craft stores in your area.
Oh, maybe you could use a flat piece and silicone a strip of black airline tubing down the center of it to keep the two glass edges from rubbing/bumping each other. That could work. As long as it's all black it'll not be noticed.

MommaWilde
Homedepot has black plastic mounting strips that might work. Cut it to fit. Silicone it in.

ounderfla69
You got a cover for a 60 gallon tank which has a cross brace in it. The easist would be to return it and go to Petco and get a 40 gallon breeder to for $34.99 whicjh is one piece. You already have water in it and you would have to drain at least some of the water in it if not all.

jerodquinn
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll go look around at home depot and try to find something that will work. It really doesn't need to brace anything just hold up the glass tops.

MommaLake could you possibly provide a link to the black mounting strips you mentioned? I can't seem to find anything. Do you think they'd be sturdy enough to support the glass tops?

Thanks again!

MommaWilde
MommaLake could you possibly provide a link to the black mounting strips you mentioned? I can't seem to find anything. Do you think they'd be sturdy enough to support the glass tops?

Thanks again!

Hi, so I'm on my phone right now and I can't figure out how to copy the link. I'll get the link in a little bit when I can get to my computer. At least from my phone, if you search "everbilt mounting strip" it comes up in the search results. But that was the first thing I saw when I searched. I haven't seen it in person. I think as long as it feels stiff enough if you go check it out then it should work. I'd keep looking around a little before you make your final purchase.

jerodquinn
I just discovered this post and I'm going to try it! Home Depot had the parts in. The aluminum pieces were 36" long and about $6 a piece. I ordered tin snips to cut it to size for about $10, I hope they work. I'll let you know how it turns out.

MommaWilde
Nice, I hope it works out! As I said I've never had to make one before so yea I'd love to see how yours turns out

jerodquinn
Here's how it came out, pretty happy with it.. only needed one of the 36" aluminum pieces (duh) and ended up buying a small hacksaw for $4 to cut it down to size. Put the lights horizontally and fit ok that way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

jerodquinn

image.jpg

image.jpg

MommaWilde
Nice job!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
2211Nighthawk
Replies