Cellophane Betta... Are His Veins Normal Or Septicemia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breanaf

Reaction score
My betta fish, Colonel Sanders, that I've had for around 6 months (bought at a LFS), has always been very pale yellow/white/pink in color, and almost a cellophane betta. Within the past 2 months I started noticing that there are some red veins appearing in his body, particularly a long red line horizontally down the middle of his body and some small ones throughout, and a few in his tail. I would chalk it up to his being a cellophane betta and me being able to see the veins, but when I first got him they were never this prominent. Is it possible that the veins appear more over time or should I really worry that it's septicemia?

I have checked the tank parameters using my liquid test kit and everything is fine.

When I first noticed it I treated it with kanaplex for the suggested dosage, which is extended over about 6 days. He is still eating, swimming happily, etc so I chalked it up to me being paranoid but I am still nervous that his visible red veins are a bad thing. I saw a post on another site where somebody was saying that if cellophane bettas have red veins it means they have septicemia. However, when I search "cellophane bettas", many of them look just like Colonel Sanders. His behavior hasn't changed, so should I be worried?

MrFluffie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don’t know Anything about septicemia but I just wanted to write and say he is absolutely gorgeous.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks pretty normal. What you are noticing is his color changing. He may have more and more red on him before he is done and this is just the start of it.

I had what I thought was a cellophane betta, and now he is a marbled blue and black, with some red markings here and there. Especially noticeable change near his tail fin. I thought he had been injured when I first noticed it. But nope, just his coloring. Still gorgeous, but a totally different color than when he started.

OP
B

Breanaf

Reaction score
Thank you for your help! From what I read in the linked thread I am thinking that the veins are normal as long as he doesn't seem ill. This is great news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom