Celestial Pearl Danios

Discussion in 'Celestial Pearl Danio' started by GuppyGuy007, Apr 21, 2018.

1. GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

My fish store just got these guys in.
    I have wanted them for as long as I can remember, but I could never find them. Now I not only found them, but I can get them for 3 bucks a piece. My questions are:
    1) Are they ok in high PH and moderately hard water?
    2) Do they have any special food requirements
    3) How can I sex them, and how can I breed them
    4) how many could I put in a 10 Gallon, and how many can I put in a 5.5 gallon?

2. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

The tropical fish hobbiest mag did an article on them. If you can google it. I believe they are good in many different phs. So much so that people were breeding them in different phs. No idea about stocking but they are a nice looking tiny fish.

3. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

1. Most likely
    2. No, but live foods are always beneficial for coloration and conditioning for breeding.
    3. Females are rounder. Breeding will be more difficult in any parameters that deviate from the ideal. Seriouslyfish has some info about them. Plants are needed.
    4. 15-20, and 7-10 is my guess.

4. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

5.5 gallons is too small, they do need a bit of space to give other males the chance to get away from the dominant male/s. 45cm×30cm tank dimensions is the minimum recommended for a small group of them

5. GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

Okay, could I do like
    8X Celestial Pearl Danio
    5X Norman's Lampeye Killifish
    5X Ember Tetras
    My tank is moderately planted, and is over filtered with 2 pretty big sponge filters.

6. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

In a 5g(so long as it’s 20” long) no more than 6 and in a 10 no more than 12. They’re relatively easy to sex, here’s a link-

Breeding is also very easy, you can just set up a small tank with some Java moss and leave a pair in there for a few days and you’ll get some fry as they spawn about every day. There’s some good articles/videos if you google how to breed them.

7. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

No, that's too much for a 10 gal. I'd stick with just one species, not three, as both the killis and the embers should be in bigger groups of their own species.

8. GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

How many celestial pearl Danios do you suggest then?

In the 5.5, can I do
    8X Celestial Pearl Danios
    4X Red Cherry Shrimp(To Start)

The Danios are too small to eat the shrimps, right?
    What would be the optimum water temperature for them?

My temp is 77°, is that OK?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  9. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I’d really suggest checking out the seriously fish care page as it’ll have the requirements on there. I’d keep the temp around 74F and as stated above I would not suggest any more than 6 in a 5.5. The shrimp would be fine.

10. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

I personally wouldn't do anything else but a Betta in a 5.5, or some shrimp and snails

11. GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

It would not be permanent, it would sort of be like a quarantine

A couple weeks at most

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  12. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

I think in a well planted 5 gallon, many species besides bettas and inverts can live happily, including CPDs. Planted is key.

13. GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

Planted will work pretty well for me, as my substrate is soil! I will be picking up many plants at the fish store tomorrow as well as fish and shrimps.

14. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

8 should be fine in a 5.5 gal.

15. GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

Ok, when I talked to the guy today he said he didn't think there were any left, but when he checked he said the still have them, so I don't think they have a whole lot. I will probably buy whatever they have.

16. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

CPDmales are pretty aggresive with each other so i wouod make sure you have atleast 3 males or only a single male. Theyre pretty easy to sex males fin is completely coloured females have less colour on their fin

17. GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

I bought them;
    I asked for 2 males and 4 females, but the guy was not sure about one of them, so he gave me 7 for the price of six. I also got 2 Blue Diamond Shrimp, and they are a really nice deep blue. Will post pics later, when they are done acclimating.

18. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I go with Dale. Too small for any kind of fish amd definitely for CPD's in my opinion.

19. GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

They will go to the ten gallon once it it cycled.

20. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Is the 5.5 gal already cycled?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice