Celestial Pearl Danio Tumor

jkraz

HI all. I'm new to the forum. I have a female Celestial Pearl Danio who has had a slowly growing tumor for approx 1.5 years, maybe longer. It's now very large but appears superficial. I'm assuming it's a benign tumor or a cyst, as she has never acted ill. She eats, swims around etc, like my CPD male. Her body is contorted due to the size of the mass she's carrying around. I assumed the mass would rupture and that she would die, but she keeps on going. Has anyone seen a mass like this before?
You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images

Crazycoryfishlady

No! I have never seen anything like this before! That's nearly half the size of her...
I wonder what the cells look like under a microscope.

jkraz

I'm actually a vet, but not an aquatic vet. I'd love to try doing a fine needle aspirate to try and assess whether its a solid mass or a fluid-filled cyst, and to view the cell type microscopically.
If it could be drained, she'd have a new lease on life.

Crazycoryfishlady

I use insulin needles on my betta
He got dropsy, and I wanted to help him before it got worse, so we drained a bit of fluid, added some epsom salt and methylene blue and just hoped for the best...
Luckily he made it through okay.
The needle didn't work so well on him as it did the fish in the video I watched, but it did well enough.
I definitely think it's possible for you to try.

You just pick up Clove oil as an anesthetic, and add 3 drops to a small container of tank water, mix it, put the fish in, let thhem sit for a bit as they get it coated on their gills, and once they slowly stop responding to you pushing them around, you take them out and lay them on a damp paper towel
It's best to have someone help you with it, but it can be done alone.
If the fish gets jumpy when you try to catch it, It's not out enough.

The longer you have it out of the clove oil water, the fastter it comes to.
And the more you give it fresh tank water, the more it comes to as well.
So you have to be fairly quick.
Some fish stay out for a few minutes, drake maybe stayed out for just over a minute before he became to conscious to allow me to insert the needle again.

You can use hydrogen peroxide and methylene on a qtip to touch the wounded area after you're done.
And you can obviously add it to the tank too if you're worried about infection.

Might be worth a shot!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SM1199
Replies
Views
greenpepper
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics