Celestial - cross eyed! Important 

JtotheEtotheN

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I adopted a very cross eyed celestial from Petco yesterday. I've tried feeding him today and unless it lands on his nose and falls down in front of his mouth... he's just not getting it! He's pretty big, about 4-5 inches so I realized he's survived and been eating thus far in his life but I'm worried about him. He bumps into things, stays close to the bottom, almost laying on it and I think he's blind? Is that possible? What do I do with the poor guy! I also have a Ryukin (I think) in the same tank and he's doing fine. I don't think it's a tank issue... he acted the same way at Petco. He seems lost and it makes me sad

Attachments

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh he is a cutie. Sorry I don't know much about them either I just wanted to welcome you to Fishlore.

I'm sure the others will be more and should help you with him.

JtotheEtotheN

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you, ladies, so much! That thread was very helpful, and I did look for questions similar to mine before posting but I didn't see anything. Apparently it's normal for them to hang out at the bottom because they can only see up and since he's cross eyed he even more worse off, haha. My poor little guy. He needs a name!

I also just found some sort of parasite on his fin. The research continues.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would feed a sinking pellet. The fish will learn to turn upside down and will be able to see the food better. Also, the food will be more stationary that way, again making it easier.

JtotheEtotheN

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So now after carefully observing this fish, I've noticed red streaks on it's fins and a parasite which I researched and found to be Argulus. Do I need to quarantine? Ugh. I'm freaking out, what do I do??

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I would certainly quarantine. I don't have any experience with fish lice, though.

JtotheEtotheN

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Quarantine is done. Off to the store to figure this mess out. He's so cute, I hope he's okay

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aw best of luck, I have no goldfish experience, but wanted to welcome you here!

He is a cutie!!

JtotheEtotheN

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The lady I've been talking to at Petco is on vacation for two weeks and the girl in her place seemed a little dense so I went to Petsmart. The lady gave me API General Cure. She said it would take care of both issues. Whew. I hope she's right! While I was there I picked up a bubble rock for my 29 gal. I also figured out a name for the celestial. It's Cici, since she can't see, see? Hahahhaa

Wish me luck!

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cici is sure cute. Because of how severely her eyes are turned, it could be very difficult for her to find food. A floating pellet will stay on the top of the water until she can find it. If you splash the water one corner a bit when you drop the pellets in that corner she will eventually learn that when the water splashes, she can go there to get food. It will make it easier for her to get enough food that way. You can also teach her to eat from your fingers which can lead to all sorts of tricks.

Melafix is a good all around medication for goldies. Once you are done with the medication for the fish lice, if there are still red streaks in the fins, Melafix may help them heal. The red streaks are a sign of stress. They can also indicate water quality issues. It is more noticeable in all white goldfish.

JtotheEtotheN

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cici didn't make it through the night I don't really know what did her in, maybe too much stress from everything going on and not feeling well.. Ugh

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry Cici didn't make it. It could have been a combination of stress and prior illness and all sorts of stuff. Did you ever get a chance to test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? That could have been a factor also.

fishdude360

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
so sorry to here that. she was very beautiful. you must be very sad. i know i would be.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads