Celebration!!!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

I have.... WRIGGLERS!!!
The first ever time I have seen them for myself!
My angels spawned three days ago, and right on time I have about 70 wriggling little eggs on the java fern leaves! I am so excited!!

I tried to use a dropper to collect the fungus eggs that the parents didn't eat, and the dropper got attacked like you wouldn't believe. I decided to leave them in peace, and they appear to have cleaned up most of them after that stressful little incident anyway...

Will see how we go, as this is their first spawn. I am not holding high hopes, but I am sooooooo excited they got this far!

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Trust me, I know the feeling!!! Isn't it great?!! They are sooooooooo tiny aren't they? Do you have any food for them when they start free swimming?

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
thanks guys, I will definitely take pics when they are big enough. My cameras aren't that great, so prob a week away yet.

Kathy, I just started hatching some brine shrimp (too early? Oh well, I have plenty of eggs!!) and I also have a healthy supply of micro worms and vinegar eels.

I think they'll be fine, IF they make it that far... Hubby was cooing over them, and laughing at Mr Darcy collecting stray wrigglers and spitting them back on the leaf!
he even congratulated me... He usually blanks out a bit with me and my fish, but he found this pretty exciting and cool!!

Yay for being a grandma!!!

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh Boy!! Just wait until they start free swimming!! Then the chase is realllllly on I remember my first spawn. The morning they became free swimming, the parents were going absolutely crazy Kids going in every direction possible. The mom and dad would chase down a mouthful and spit them back out where they wanted them to be. No sooner than spit back out, they were off in another direction. After a few days of this, the parents settled down a bit. The whole process is so amazing and fun to watch!!! It is funny how it draws the attention from those who are not as involved as we may be. It caught my husbands attention too. He like fish, but to just watch the newbies is quite different.

Congratulation Gramphish

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I went out to the lounge this morning and half-expected the spawn to have died. But they made it through, and are wriggling harder than ever! Hubby got up a fewminutes later and came into the lounge, and saw my grin, and said "oooo! they made it another night! oh they are soooo cool!"

I LOVE that he is as excited (well, almost! :giggle as me over this. Mummy and Mr Darcy were cleaning off one of my amazon sword leaves, so I think they have chosen the second site to move the little kids to.

If all goes to plan my brine shrimp should start hatching tonight or overnight (almost 10am on Sunday in Aus currently, I know you US folks are waaay behind the times... ), so I should have some food to feed the little cuties when they start free-swimming some time tomorrow. Possibly may have to wait till Tuesday (I hope not!!), but I am ready to go!! I can hardly stop watching the little buggers!!

P.S. this is my first non-guppy spawn/fry, hence the excitement! arty0009:
P.P.S. we really need a 'bouncing off the walls' smiley!

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pull up a very comfortable chair and enjoy!!! I know I did! I do hope they make it!! Like I said, I know how you feel!!!!! GREAT ISN'T IT!!!!
:;pickle :;bananad2 arty0009: :;bananapurple :;banana1

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thought I would post an update on my latest kiddies...

I had to go away for the weekend, and the fry were still attached to the amazon sword that the parents moved them to (right after my last post!). They were making little spurts of swims, and parents were getting cranky with the ambitious little ones that went too far from the leaf.

I came home Sunday evening to a mass of free-swimming angelfish fry!

As of today, we are at day 13. There are about 80 fry left, and they are eating frozen BBS, microworms, vinegar eels, and whatever BBS that decide to hatch from the DIY hatchery (not going too well.).

They are about 1cm long, and soooooooo cute!
Every time I put my fingers or dropper into the tank to feed the little guys I get painfully attacked by Mum and Dad angels. They are SUPER protective of their brood.

Things are progressing well, and I will leave the parents in there to practice their parenting skills. It will also assist with keeping the surviving fry population to a minimum. I'm hoping only ~20 survive, as I will have a hard time raising any more than that.

The fry are big enough now to get pictures of, so I will take some over the next 24-48hrs for you all!

Thanks for sharing in my excitement!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, spawn #1 is progressing. We are down to just 8 fry though, which is basically due to my trial and error.
The fry are growing noticeably, but apparently slowly according to standards.

Latest news: mum & Mr Darcy spawned again, and I am now artificially raising their second spawn in the same 40G as spawn #1. The eggs have been wriggling for 4 days now, and I have about 200 wrigglers. Hopefully more will survive this time!

I have been doing tonns of research, and think my brine shrimp are the main reason for failure.

Because the fry are in a 40G already, they are very difficult to get a picture of. I picked up the tank for $10 off someone who was going to use it as a sump, but never did, so its not up to display quality. I am keeping it bare bottom, and will start adding in some potted plants in a couple of weeks.

If I get a spawn #3 before I am ready, I will let nature take its course and move the parents to the 40G for future spawns.

Boy, this is a lot of work! But oh so rewarding!

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bubbly, you mentioned above that you are raising the second spawn in the same 40G as spawn #1. Do you have the eggs/wigglers separate from the older fry? If there is much size difference, the larger fry will nibble at the eggs/wigglers and I have lost some due to this.

Also, I have found that feeding the wee ones works better in a smaller space for at least the first several weeks. They don't have to search such a large area to find a bite of food. The 40G will make an excellent grow out tank however.

I found an article about breeding Angelfish earlier. You may have already seen or read it, but just in case you haven't, here is the link:

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks Kathy!

I did read that post, and it prompted me to update on my wrigglers! lol

I would love to put the 'wee ones' in a smaller space for the first few days/week, but I don't have any small tanks that don't contain divided bettas. Otherwise I definitely would. I have noticed my 'older' fry are a bit intimidated by the large tank, and hide in a corner. This does however make it easy to spot-feed them.

I haven't noticed any nibbling on wrigglers yet, and it could be because the spawns were so close together and the #1s are a bit smaller than they should be at this age (free swimming for 2.5 weeks). I will keep an eye on this though - thanks for the tip.

This is all so educational, and amazing to watch! Hubby keeps asking every couple of days how they are going, and comes into the back room to check them out. I'm pretty impressed, because he never shows this much interest in my fish!

Will keep you all updated as we go along...

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Update:

I ended up moving everyone from the 40G to a specially-emptied 6G (ex-betta tank), and things were progressing wonderfully.
I had to work from 7am to 10pm yesterday. I fed the fry frozen bbs (the live just was NOT wanting to work for me) in the morning, and came home just after 10pm to find most of my spawn #2 have died.

I don't know why yet, suspicions are 1. water parameters, 2. lack of feeding during the day.

The good news is I still have 6 from spawn #1, and they now look like fully formed minature angels, and I have maybe a dozen left from spawn #2.

Further update when I get home tonight.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Kathy,
Not very good I'm afraid. I am down to just 5 from spawn #1, and lost all of #2.

I had not seen any indicators to cause concern, and don't know why I lost all of the second batch. The good news is the remaining 5 are coming along well and showing some good growth spurts.

I will leave them in the 6G until they are double their current size and then move them to the 40G grow out tank they started in.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom