Celebrating!!!

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A few weeks ago, I pulled a dumb move and accidentally washed my filter media with untreated tap water. Bye, bye, beneficial bacteria! Since then, I have been doing daily 50% water changes on my 50 gal, trying to keep the ammonia spike, and then the nitrite spike under control. It's been a very frustrating few weeks thanks my own stupid mistake (which I will never make again!).

But today, finally, after what felt like eternity, I got the test results I've been dying to see!

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5 (my tank is moderately planted, so the plants stuck up a lot of my nitrates)

I just had to share here because when I triumphantly announced this to my husband, his response was a very confused look at the tank followed by, "...oh... ok." He just doesn't get it. Husbands

Here's a photo, just because

Attachments

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's great! I've almost done that twice now.... I can't even imagine
As soon as I realized what I did I just froze and stood there staring what used to be a beautifully colonized bacteria heaven. And then a few, slightly inappropriate, words came out of my mouth! Haha

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Huzzah! It's always exciting to see numbers reflecting a cycled tank. My hubby got used to me being excited about water parameters and would give me a high five when he saw that I was excited.
The ironic part is that he works at a water treatment plant! You think he'd be excited that I actually want to talk about water! Haha

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My girlfriend actually asks now sometimes when I test the water. So I tell her how it was, and she responds, "Good job baby!" Lol.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As soon as I realized what I did I just froze and stood there staring what used to be a beautifully colonized bacteria heaven. And then a few, slightly inappropriate, words came out of my mouth! Haha
What really sucks is turning your filter on its side to pour out the dirty water.... and suddenly a bunch of water gushes out the input and onto your tan cargo shorts! There's a big stain on them now!:banghead:

But I agree that non-fishkeepers don't appreciate good water parameters.

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What really sucks is turning your filter on its side to pour out the dirty water.... and suddenly a bunch of water gushes out the input and onto your tan cargo shorts! There's a big stain on them now!:banghead:

But I agree that non-fishkeepers don't appreciate good water parameters.
I once poured a bucket of very dirty water from my snail tank into the sink too fast. The resulting splashback landing in my face. I am now much more careful when pouring buckets out, and always make sure to keep my mouth closed!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom