Celebrating!!!

1. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

A few weeks ago, I pulled a dumb move and accidentally washed my filter media with untreated tap water. Bye, bye, beneficial bacteria! Since then, I have been doing daily 50% water changes on my 50 gal, trying to keep the ammonia spike, and then the nitrite spike under control. It's been a very frustrating few weeks thanks my own stupid mistake (which I will never make again!).

But today, finally, after what felt like eternity, I got the test results I've been dying to see!

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 5 (my tank is moderately planted, so the plants stuck up a lot of my nitrates)

I just had to share here because when I triumphantly announced this to my husband, his response was a very confused look at the tank followed by, "...oh... ok." He just doesn't get it. Husbands

Here's a photo, just because

Attached Files:

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

That's great! I've almost done that twice now.... I can't even imagine :p

3. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Huzzah! :) It's always exciting to see numbers reflecting a cycled tank. My hubby got used to me being excited about water parameters and would give me a high five when he saw that I was excited.

4. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

As soon as I realized what I did I just froze and stood there staring what used to be a beautifully colonized bacteria heaven. And then a few, slightly inappropriate, words came out of my mouth! Haha

5. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

The ironic part is that he works at a water treatment plant! You think he'd be excited that I actually want to talk about water! Haha

6. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

My girlfriend actually asks now sometimes when I test the water. So I tell her how it was, and she responds, "Good job baby!" Lol.

7. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

What really sucks is turning your filter on its side to pour out the dirty water.... and suddenly a bunch of water gushes out the input and onto your tan cargo shorts! There's a big stain on them now!:banghead:

But I agree that non-fishkeepers don't appreciate good water parameters.

8. Dawn Michele

Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

Beautiful tank!!!

9. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

Thank you! It's my first one that's more than 10 gal, and my first time using sand substrate. I'm officially hooked on this hobby!

10. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

I once poured a bucket of very dirty water from my snail tank into the sink too fast. The resulting splashback landing in my face. I am now much more careful when pouring buckets out, and always make sure to keep my mouth closed!