Cbs Turned Crs? Toxin? Help

1. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

So I had 10 nice lil CBS mischlings for about a month, and had a little kit with some Cholla wood and other stuff. I had previously used some of the Cholla wood, but I guess one piece was bad because after I put it in everything, even the pest snails, was dead two hours later ... except two shrimp. I quickly removed them to a different container and did a 50% water change. One lived for a few more days, but later passed. Here's the tricky part: the one survivor molted two days after being placed in the container, and seemed very brown afterwards. Now, her black markings have turned entirely red. I am very concerned since the black markings turn red when they die, especially because I have since moved her into my main shrimp tank. Is this some sort of toxin?? What on Earth is happening?

Attached Files:

2. Krysty

Krysty Well Known Member Member

I don't know much about the shrimp, but did you soak the wood before putting it in the tank?

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

CRS originated from CBS, so your CBS are not pure line and would produce CRS. She likely was a poorly colored CRS when they picked her out, so she will remain a CRS from now on.

4. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I had her for two months and she molted before this and was an adult when I got her. I've had little babies change colors, but never adults... She was pure black, there were two others that were more on the brown/red side, but they retained that exact color throughout their lives. It's strange because she was a dull brown after the molt, then slowly turned red.
    Yes, I had soaked it for a week and left it to dry for another week. Honestly I don't know what happened since everything just died really quickly except two shrimp. I was thinking some kind of heavy metal contaminant or something, since the pest snails also died, but it wouldn't really explain how two of the shrimp pulled through.