Caves

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How does one find materials for caves (rocks,shale,etc) I have found just a few in my town..Also if one was to use rocks that were found...What kind of preparation would be necessary to add to Tanks.

Chipster...Steelerfan (sad one today)

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Chipster,

Just recently, another Fish Lore member has asked similar questions to yours. I think the answers in this thread should help you:

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank-you very much Isabella.......

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought flat rocks from one of those places that supplies rock to construction companys when they build a house. He let us pick out the ones we wanted and only charges us .20 per pound. this is what I did for my 55 gallon. I think there is a picture of it in my gallery. this is what it looks like now.
Left side and right side

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That is very nice looking. That is a great idea to go to a rock supplier to get teh rocks to make teh cave. Did you use tank aproved silicone to glue them together.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It looks beautiful Carol. This is a great idea for getting rocks too Is it slate?

P.S. I think "petrified wood" also looks nice in a tank - it's a very cheap rock (not wood) that can be found at many local fish stores. Well, actually, it's a fossilized wood - or so I've heard on Plant Geek. Anyways, whatever it is, it looks nice to me. Mostly because it's a rock yet it has nice coloration similar to driftwood. Very practical piece of decoration.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella not slate but not sure what it is(didn't fizz with acid test).
Tumbleweed- yes aquarium safe silicone was used.
Carol

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Carol.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Butterfly said:
I bought flat rocks from one of those places that supplies rock to construction companys when they build a house. He let us pick out the ones we wanted and only charges us .20 per pound. this is what I did for my 55 gallon. I think there is a picture of it in my gallery. this is what it looks like now.
Left side and right side
Your aquarium is like..like..awesome!!!

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those rocks look great...Thanks for suggestion..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom