Causes Of White Staghorn Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Fahn, Apr 20, 2019.

1. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Tank is 2 gallons, pH is 5.8. Injected CO2 at 8-15ppm, running 6 hours per day. 0 ammonia, nitrites, negligible nitrates. Tank is carpeted in pearlweed. NilocG Thrive S dosed 2-3 times per week.

GH is 6, KH is 0.

On my driftwood and hardware I see small sprigs of whitish grey staghorn algae forming. I also pulled a sizable clump out of my carpet yesterday. It is also growing on my intake sponge. Is there anyway I can prevent it altogether? What deficiencies/overdoses cause this algae? Not sure if you can see any in the pic, my phone camera sucks.

photo_2019-04-19_19-42-33.jpg

2. goldfishexpertNew MemberMember

Fahn, low CO2, Poor water circulation and too much light can be the cause. You should use Flourish Excel if you've already injected CO2, you should spot treat with flourish and in a week you should see the white staghorn dying. Make sure you don't get it confused with blackbeard algae!.

3. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Poor water circulation definitely isn't the issue as there is quite a lot of flow in the tank. Too much light... eh, it's on for 6 hours a day so I don't know about that either.

Low CO2 may be the culprit. I keep it at only 8-15ppm in this tank. When I used to run it at 20-30ppm the water became incredibly acidic, with the pH dipping below 5 on occasion. This is a crystal shrimp tank with an already low pH and a KH of 0. Perhaps I can gradually bump it up a little?

4. goldfishexpertNew MemberMember

15-20ppm is quite good for pumping CO2. Treat it with Flourish Excel or inject a bit more CO2