causes of mini-cycle?

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
3 of my 4 tanks have gone into mini-cycles this week; the 50, 55 and 180.

The 50 has crashed completely, but i think i already figured out why. I posted about that one in my blog. I am now cycling with fish. Again.

The 55 and 180 are both showing nitrite spikes, and consequently high nitrates. I think the catalyst was adding 10 cardinal tetras to both on the 18th.

Anyway, my question is this:
I cleaned out the hoses on my aquis 1200 canister filter during the pwc on the 180. They were so full of gunk that you could not see through them and flow was restricted. Is it possible the hoses contained the bacteria to convert nitrites to nitrates, and enough of it to throw me into a mini-cycle once cleaned?

Thanks for making it this far through my mammot post! I appreciate any and all responses.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
over cleaning, overstocking, lack of maintenance, removing/adding large amounts of stock at once, new tanks not stable enough yet for any changes, improper filtration, are a few I can think of...hope they work themselves out fast!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bubblynutter said:
I cleaned out the hoses on my aquis 1200 canister filter during the pwc on the 180. They were so full of gunk that you could not see through them and flow was restricted. Is it possible the hoses contained the bacteria to convert nitrites to nitrates, and enough of it to throw me into a mini-cycle once cleaned?
Possibly could have caused it. If the flow was significantly reduced, then maybe the bacteria in the filter was starved and took up residence in the pipes

Using un-treated water fresh from the tap can kill bacteria (just adding to shawnie's list, not saying this is what you did)

I'm sure it will cycle up again for you. At least you caught it and know how to deal with it

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes the hoses will contian beneficial bacteria but cleaning them shouldn't be enough to cause a mini-cycle unless the filter media isn't fully colonised yet. Knowing the design of the aquis 1200 plenty of water should still flow through the bottom two baskets containing the bio-balls, ceramics & the blue sponges for the biological processes to take place even if the top basket containing the black sponge & the white pad has clogged totally.

I would check the parameters of your tap water & see if that is the source of the extra nitrites.

A tip with these filters is to throw away the white floss type pad from the very top & just use the black sponge as your very top layer of filtration. Fill the space left under the black sponge with more bio-media, carbon or whatever you want to use.

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree with shawnie those all could potentialy cause mini cycles

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One other possibility with the 180 that I just thought of is that the bioload has now exceeded the filters capacity, it is really only rated for a 250lt tank. If that turns out to be the case then the only choice you would have is to add more filtration in the form of more filters.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter said:
One other possibility with the 180 that I just thought of is that the bioload has now exceeded the filters capacity, it is really only rated for a 250lt tank. If that turns out to be the case then the only choice you would have is to add more filtration in the form of more filters.
Great pickup nutter +1

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Shawnie said:
over cleaning, overstocking, lack of maintenance, removing/adding large amounts of stock at once, new tanks not stable enough yet for any changes, improper filtration, are a few I can think of...hope they work themselves out fast!
thanks shawnie, i know all those. I suspected the mass addition already, but was curious about the hoses.

ryanr said:
Possibly could have caused it. If the flow was significantly reduced, then maybe the bacteria in the filter was starved and took up residence in the pipes

Using un-treated water fresh from the tap can kill bacteria (just adding to shawnie's list, not saying this is what you did)

I'm sure it will cycle up again for you. At least you caught it and know how to deal with it
yeah, i know what i'm in for. I deliberately used tap water to clean the hoses, as i had to use super got water to cut through the gunk. I like your theory on migrating bacteria though...

Nutter said:
Yes the hoses will contian beneficial bacteria but cleaning them shouldn't be enough to cause a mini-cycle unless the filter media isn't fully colonised yet. Knowing the design of the aquis 1200 plenty of water should still flow through the bottom two baskets containing the bio-balls, ceramics & the blue sponges for the biological processes to take place even if the top basket containing the black sponge & the white pad has clogged totally.

I would check the parameters of your tap water & see if that is the source of the extra nitrites.

A tip with these filters is to throw away the white floss type pad from the very top & just use the black sponge as your very top layer of filtration. Fill the space left under the black sponge with more bio-media, carbon or whatever you want to use.
thanks for the tips nutter. I strongly suspect the filter is not fully colonised, as it has only been a couple of months stable.
I have already checked my tap water - no nitrites.

I will follow your advice on the sponges too, thanks for that!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bubblynutter said:
thanks shawnie, i know all those. I suspected the mass addition already, but was curious about the hoses.
I clean my hoses constantly as I over feed (spoil) my fish...so I do not think it was the hoses except that the tanks new... but most deff a bioload issue on a new tank is playing a role IMO ....once the tank is more established, cleaning hoses shouldnt make a difference

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Shawnie said:
I clean my hoses constantly as I over feed (spoil) my fish...so I do not think it was the hoses except that the tanks new... but most deff a bioload issue on a new tank is playing a role IMO ....once the tank is more established, cleaning hoses shouldnt make a difference
yeah i think i made a rookie mistake and went too gung ho too early after adding fish! Now i'm paying for it...

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Let's let the Aussies talk amongst themselves. Remember, things are opposite there compared to the US.

So, ryanr and bubblynutter, do you guys know each other since you both live in Melbourne? If not, you guys should meet up (especially if you're both single, who better for a fishkeeper to date than another fishkeeper )

-Lisa

PS. You're right, I've got nothing to contribute, just tickled by the Aussie thread

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kunsthure said:
Let's let the Aussies talk amongst themselves. Remember, things are opposite there compared to the US.

So, ryanr and bubblynutter, do you guys know each other since you both live in Melbourne? If not, you guys should meet up (especially if you're both single, who better for a fishkeeper to date than another fishkeeper )

-Lisa

PS. You're right, I've got nothing to contribute, just tickled by the Aussie thread
That would be awesome! But if my husband was a MTS sufferer too the kids would starve because every penny would get spent on tanks, equipment and fish.

Can't see through the hoses? That's how I know it's time to clean them. I just wash them in tap water. I have a brush tied to a string with a weight on the end and pull it through.

I can't see 10 cardinals in tanks that size causing much of a bioload. My guess would be something in your tap water or maybe an expired bottle of water conditioner.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ahhaha! Nice one lisa!

No we don't know each other, and i am spoken for. I like your thinking though! Although i suspect if my hubby was into fishkeeping too we might end up selling the bed to make more room for tanks!

nutter: the filter is coping ok for now, and i fully intend to get another canister just as soon as my income catches up with my expenses! ops:

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's nice having the Aussies on here to teach everyone else some new words. Nutter has taught me Drango or drungo? and ... I can't remember the other one... something cories do in gravel... was it ransicking?

I'm wondering now if the word Nutter has some Aussie significance I'm missing?

Oh and needing a new filter is a valid emergency expense right? Go for it!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To everyone: let's keep the dating advice out of the public eye. We have people of all ages, from all walks of life and persuasions on these forums.
Fishlore isn't a dating a service, I appreciate it might be funny to some, but it's not appropriate in a public forum.

suemvb -
Drongo, Aussie slang for idiot, bogan, numbskull, simpleton
Nutter can be Aussie slang for 'crazy person', a mentally unwell person, one who is crazy/pyschotic.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
and it would have been ransacking, basically raiding for food!

I think we upset ryan...

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ryanr said:
To everyone: let's keep the dating advice out of the public eye. We have people of all ages, from all walks of life and persuasions on these forums.
Fishlore isn't a dating a service, I appreciate it might be funny to some, but it's not appropriate in a public forum.

suemvb -
Nutter can be Aussie slang for 'crazy person', a mentally unwell person, one who is crazy/pyschotic.
I don't see anything inappropriate. Are you referring to the word dating? Don't worry if anything even remotely inappropriate is mentioned a mod will come along poof - all gone.

We just have nuts here in the states. I love being able to talk to people all over the world here on Fishlore

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
don't forget all the "nuts" in ohio! buckeye nuts that is! O-H-I-O! wait, what's this thread about again? <goes back to the top to look> ahhhhh mini cycle. i've had one of those. it was over cleaning media that was too new. it does seem odd that 3/4 tanks are in one. bummer! did you forget to add water cond? idk. hope they end soon.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ryanr said:
Come on Ryan, I'm pretty sure they don't know what a bogan is either, now your going to have to explain that one.

A nutter is someone of dubious mental stability, also known as a complete whack job, fruitcake, looney-tune or idiot. I was given my nickname for my never back down no matter the odds attitude. We'll just leave it at that, I'm sure some of you can figure out what that means.

I think the word about the cories was rumaging, ie: rumaging through the substrate.

I've been teaching Kunsthure a little Aussie slang but she has just decided I'm completely bonkers, (bonkers = nutter), & given up trying to understand what I'm on about. I think the breaking point came when I said I was going to put some dead horse on my dogs eye.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think the breaking point came when I said I was going to put some dead horse on my dogs eye.
spoken like a true blue yobbo!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads