Currently have a good amount of diatoms in my tank, and I have read that the causes of diatoms include high phosphates/silicates, low oxygen, too much nitrate, or excessive lighting. Are there any others in your experience? Getting a phosphate test kit soon to see what is up. Thanks!
I took out my mossballs that had them for 4 weeksish and let them sit with a light in a bowl. there was like hundreds of them. I wanted to test how to get rid of them so i used a syringe to get them and put them into different small cups to test my fish things on what would kill them. I found out that salt killed them so dumped it in and then rinsed the mossballs.
Also it was fun because it looked like a nuke blast and they died instantly... lol i have no life at that day...
Yeah, pretty unavoidable unless you're blasting CO2. Hair algae (filamentous diatoms) and hard diatoms (on the glass) are both pretty common. A german aquascaper I follow on instagram also says that some green hair algae are also diatoms. We hobbyists have no way of knowing for sure though. Usually when I set up a new tank, I get hit really hard by hair algae and diatoms, but it goes away on its own in a couple months.
Excel or any other glutaraldehyde product will kill it, as will spot dosing hydrogen peroxide.