Causes Of Diatoms

Alex6455

Valued Member
Reaction score
Currently have a good amount of diatoms in my tank, and I have read that the causes of diatoms include high phosphates/silicates, low oxygen, too much nitrate, or excessive lighting. Are there any others in your experience? Getting a phosphate test kit soon to see what is up. Thanks!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can't really prevent diaatoms. They appear in almost any tank that's less than a year old. Just wait it out and use a scraper to scrape the diatoms off of the glass.

Alex6455

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Any tips for getting it off gravel? Besides snails, they didn't work out in my tank. Not sure why, levels are 0/0/10

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I took out my mossballs that had them for 4 weeksish and let them sit with a light in a bowl. there was like hundreds of them. I wanted to test how to get rid of them so i used a syringe to get them and put them into different small cups to test my fish things on what would kill them. I found out that salt killed them so dumped it in and then rinsed the mossballs.

Also it was fun because it looked like a nuke blast and they died instantly... lol i have no life at that day...

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah, pretty unavoidable unless you're blasting CO2. Hair algae (filamentous diatoms) and hard diatoms (on the glass) are both pretty common. A german aquascaper I follow on instagram also says that some green hair algae are also diatoms. We hobbyists have no way of knowing for sure though. Usually when I set up a new tank, I get hit really hard by hair algae and diatoms, but it goes away on its own in a couple months.

Excel or any other glutaraldehyde product will kill it, as will spot dosing hydrogen peroxide.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom