causes of bent spine in fry? Question

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Rhan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. RhanWell Known MemberMember

Hi all,

I've noticed one of my platy fry in my grow out tank has curved spine. It's about 2 months old, and seems to be growing, swimming, eating and pooping normally with it's siblings.

I've been searching past threads about curved spines, but most threads referred to dying/dead fish. This little fishy is very much alive, so I'm thinking it is not likely to be a disease?

What else could it be? The other factor I thought of was nutrition, but this is 1 out of over 100 odd babies so far (several batches) that has a bent spine. If it were a nutrition problem, I would have thought it would be more widespread.

The fry are fed between 3-5 times a day small pinches of Nutrifin Max baby fish food formula (they're small, tiny granules). They also get frozen brine shrimp several times a week, and a bit of pea once a week.

Could it just been result of genetics, or maybe just one of nature's little mistakes?

Seeing as it is only a young fry, is there something I could do to help it's spine develop properly?

EDIT: I do bi-weekly water changes on this tank due to all the feedings. I test weekly, and it is consistently o ammonia and nitrite, and usually 10-15 nitrates.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

It may survive it. It has happened to 2 of my black neons and one died and one has survived. It probably hit something.

3. coffeebean

coffeebeanWell Known MemberMember

i think a small number of deformities in fry is just normal. every now and then one of my guppies or platies will have a bent spine fry. so far they all have been surviving and thriving.

4. bgrayNew MemberMember

I too have a 2 month old Platy Fry that is bent. It is doing well. It may have recieved damage in the tank.

5. hyun007Valued MemberMember

Could be down to the common reasons of :

1) Inbreeding, the 2 fish that you got might be brother and sister.
    2) fry birth accident.
    3) some accident in the tank
    4) Natural deformed (the unfortunate one)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice