Cause Of Fish Death?

Punkus_Magunkus

So I have a 46 gallon bow front aquarium and in it I have 8 tiger barbs 3 adolfoi cories (I had 5) 2 pearl gourami 5 cherry barbs and 1 green phantom pleco. I have had this tank since beginning of December and the only fatalities has been in the past week. 8 days ago 1 of my cories died, I took him out did a 50% wc because it was that day anyways and today another one of my cories died bringing me down to 3. I checked all my levels and they look fine and all the fish are active and haven't seen anything weird except sometimes I'll have a cory swimming in the middle but I never thought anything of it. My question is what could have possibly caused these deaths? And will me 3 cories left be okay with only 3? I don't have the money right now to buy more of the adolfois.

Initiate

Hey,
Corydora hovering in the middle of the tank is normal, can I have some of the pictures of the remaining cories?

thanks

Punkus_Magunkus

Hey,
Corydora hovering in the middle of the tank is normal, can I have some of the pictures of the remaining cories?

thanks
Not a great photo but they generally stick with each other around the back where its darker during the day.

mattgirl

It may just be the angle but they look to be a bit thin. What are you feeding them?

Punkus_Magunkus

It may just be the angle but they look to be a bit thin. What are you feeding them?
They have algae on decorations they can eat, they pick up flakes that get to the bottom, I throw in algae wafers for them, and occasionally some shrimp or earthworm pellets.

angelcraze

Can you post your test results? Temperature of the tank? Adolfoi can tolerate higher temps, but I'm just curious.

I love your adolfoi cories btw! They are so pretty We know they'd be happier in a group of 6, but since they are so pricey, what can you do? I have old tetras who have outlived the others, they could be happier with more of their own kind, but what do you do when your switching tetra schools? Keep one kind your entire life? Just saying.

Punkus_Magunkus

Test results after my water change is 10ppm ammonia 0 nitrites nitrate and 78-79 degrees temp

mattgirl

They have algae on decorations they can eat, they pick up flakes that get to the bottom, I throw in algae wafers for them, and occasionally some shrimp or earthworm pellets.
Do you ever see them eating the algae on the decorations? There may be some and yours could very well be one that doesn't need a meatier diet but most corys are not actually algae eaters and need more of the shrimp pellets than the algae wafers.

Test results after my water change is 10ppm ammonia 0 nitrites nitrate and 78-79 degrees temp
Do you really mean your ammonia is 10? If that is the case it is the reason you are losing your corys. I recommend immediate water changes.

Punkus_Magunkus

Here is a better photo

Punkus_Magunkus

Do you ever see them eating the algae on the decorations? There may be some and yours could very well be one that doesn't need a meatier diet but most corys are not actually algae eaters and need more of the shrimp pellets than the algae wafers.

Do you really mean your ammonia is 10? If that is the case it is the reason you are losing your corys. I recommend immediate water changes.
I meant nitrate is 10 my bad ammonia is 0

Punkus_Magunkus

I don't see them eat algae of any decorations but they do like the algae wafers. They also find a fair bit of flake that makes it to the bottom which is a tropical fish flake and I do give them shrimp pellets sometimes but they aren't all that interested in them.

angelcraze

Maybe a specific catfish pellet? There is some protein in algae wafers, but they really don't usually eat much algae. They are definitely scavengers though. Maybe some meatier pellet foods for scavenging the bottom since flakes are so little per bite. I only feed flakes to my guppy. The rest of my fish get pellet foods in different sizes according to the fish size.

DoubleDutch

There is one and only reason. They are on a completely wrong diet. They are almost carnivorious and hardle getany nutrition from algae or algaewafers.Making them vunerable for all kinds of infections.

Switch to shrimppellets bloodworms brineshrimp aso

Punkus_Magunkus

There is one and only reason. They are on a completely wrong diet. They are almost carnivorious and hardle getany nutrition from algae or algaewafers.Making them vunerable for all kinds of infections.

Switch to shrimppellets bloodworms brineshrimp aso
I didnt know that, all the information I was finding was saying they are omnivores. I'll switch them to a meatier diet and see if that helps them out.

DoubleDutch

Hoping these beautiful Corys will perk up

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
wateriswet
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views
GrayRas