Cauliflower Swordtail

Discussion in 'Swordtails' started by emeraldking, Apr 24, 2018.

1. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Cauliflower swordtails and sabertails are very popular in Asia. Unlike most bred fancy strains of the Xiphophorus helleri, these two species seem the perfect cross between swordtail and molly when you take a look at their bodyshape. The exact origin remains a question at this very moment.
    I myself am keeping the regular cauliflower swordtail. The sword of the male is totally brick red, thick and short in comparison to most male fancy descendants of the Xiphophorus helleri. The sabertail is almost the same with the exception of the shape of the sword. As the name already tells you, the tail has got the shape of a saber.
    The cauliflower swordtails are also albino. Overhere, I've really noticed that their eye sight isn't optimal.
    It's a great fancy species to look at. Especially the curled and extended dorsal looks gracious on both male and female.

DSCF2203a.JPG
    DSCF2206a.JPG

2. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Very pretty fish!

Hope to see them in the states at some point.

3. emmysjj

emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

I'm sorry, this is amazing.

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Very cool fish :)

5. OP
    OP
    emeraldking

I'm sure they will show up in the States as well...

6. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

in Grand Rapids, Michigan on May 4-6. If they are in the country, that's the most likely place for them to show up.

7. OP
    OP
    emeraldking

Makes me wanna go to Grand Rapids next month but that would be a little bit too far for me...

8. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Maybe next year, Stan. If I can find the right ear to bend, would you be interested in coming to speak? (That way the plane ticket would be paid for, too!)

9. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Wow. I never saw colors that saturated before on a fish. They almost look like molds. I want one.

10. OP
    OP
    emeraldking

That would be interesting...

Next month we do have our own meeting as well. Couldn't find the time to write an article lately. The deadline for our own magazine has passed already. So, I'll write 1 or 2 articles for the third edition this year.
    My article about the Amazon molly (Poecilia formosa) which has been published in the February 2018 edition of Poecilia Netherlands will be translated into german. Soon this article will be published in the Viviparos magazine in Germany.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    emeraldking

Just one...? ;)

12. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

There is a seller on aquabid with them right now, they also have the culls from their project for sale (so they may have some recessive genes in play if bred to each other).

13. scarface

Anyone know where I can get these bad boys?
    I’m in NYC.

14. OP
    OP
    emeraldking

You could ask if an lfs is doing business with the wholesale dealer Ruinemans. They've got an office in the States as well. They're one of the wholesale dealers which have these cauliflowers. At least, they had them. I don't know there current stock, of course.

15. OP
    OP
    emeraldking

@scarface, overhere a video at the dutch office of Ruinemans.
    The link to the american office: Home. And I just checked but at this moment no cauliflowers in their programme.

16. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

These fish shouldn't be in such fast-running water.

17. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Nice video Stan ! My wife tried to make me stop watching it ..That's a lot of tanks !
    Not hard to see where you get such great fish from ..Wish you could send me some of those GBR...I started with stock from the Netherlands and wish I could get more.
    @scarface there is a seller in Thialand [I think] that will ship to the US. From there you need to pay the American trans shipper to get them to you . One of my customers in California has ordered fish from this seller and gave them good reviews also..
    They are on AquaBid usually but have no listings at this time..

18. scarface

I appreciate the help as well as the video. I guess it's just a waiting game for now. I'm trying to avoid having to pay shipping myself, so hopefully one of my LFSs does business with them.

19. DioAquatics

DioAquaticsFishlore VIPMember

These are the most beautiful swordtails I have ever seen!

20. OP
    OP
    emeraldking

Agree! This goes for most fish with such fins and a compact body shape. But unfortunately a wholesaler won't pay attention to such aspects.

Well, it's not that I purchase fish from wholesalers in general. Most come from other networks. It's even that wholesalers overhere are very interested in people like us to get their hands on rare fish.
    I do have to agree that when you see such a number of tanks, it gets to you to have so many tanks as well. Probably you have the same problem as I have → lack of space!

You could contact the wholesaler if they know a dealer of them in your area.

They are beautiful indeed! In Asia these swordtails just like its relative the sabertail are very popular. The sabertail looks almost identical to the cauliflower with the exception of the shape of the sword.