Help Cauliflower disease

Vancouver Mike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The scientific name is lymphocystis, and its not supposed to be fatal unless they contract it on the mouth or gills...which is where my Angelfish seems to have it.

She has had this over a month now but has been gasping for 2-3 weeks and I'm worried she is suffering.
She hasnt eaten for 7 or 8 days!! I don't know how she is still alive tbh.
I have turned up temp to 82° and have been treating with PrazI pro but ive been told the meds will just help with the healing of her cyst when they pop and make sure other fish don't get it.
She is my first fish in the hobby and she has given us 500 fry and I guess I'm wondering if I should put her down ??
She is a real fighter, she made it through nitro cycle because I didnt know about it and had to research it once I saw other fish die and she was gasping and had ammonia burns on her gills and had redness in her fin line :(

She is a real fighter but I'm caught between her suffering and her getting better?!

Any suggestions or advice on putting her down or helping her?
Thx

Attachments

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm confused, it doesn't look like it's in the gills or mouth? Or am I missing something?

It doesn't look fatal to me. Have you tested the water? I doubt PraziPro would do anything for virus, so i'd do a large water change to get rid of it. It might be bothering her. Let us know the parameters and conditions of the tank if you can.

I use Repashy gel foods and garlic juice to entice eating. They can go a while without eating though. The thing is, I can't see the virus affecting her appetite, usually it's something else. I see nothing else wrong.

Or, you could try Boyd's Vitachem fish vitamins, it can be dosed in the water for uptake through the gills when the fish is not eating enough nutrition.

Also I just thought of it, but when using Prazipro, you need to start with fresh water (low TDS) and increase aeration, because the higher temp along with the meds depleating o2, it could cause fish to gasp at the surface. Add an airstone or lower water level so the filter output flow breaks the water surface.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like Lympho .
The not eating is something else .Possibly age ..
I agree the lympho should not be a life threating event ..It could just go away in time also..

OP
Vancouver Mike

Vancouver Mike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
angelcraze said:
I'm confused, it doesn't look like it's in the gills or mouth? Or am I missing something?

It doesn't look fatal to me. Have you tested the water? I doubt PraziPro would do anything for virus, so i'd do a large water change to get rid of it. It might be bothering her. Let us know the parameters and conditions of the tank if you can.

I use Repashy gel foods and garlic juice to entice eating. They can go a while without eating though. The thing is, I can't see the virus affecting her appetite, usually it's something else. I see nothing else wrong.

Or, you could try Boyd's Vitachem fish vitamins, it can be dosed in the water for uptake through the gills when the fish is not eating enough nutrition.

Also I just thought of it, but when using Prazipro, you need to start with fresh water (low TDS) and increase aeration, because the higher temp along with the meds depleating o2, it could cause fish to gasp at the surface. Add an airstone or lower water level so the filter output flow breaks the water h

OP
Vancouver Mike

Vancouver Mike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vancouver Mike said:
The scientific name is lymphocystis, and its not supposed to be fatal unless they contract it on the mouth or gills...which is where my Angelfish seems to have it.

She has had this over a month now but has been gasping for 2-3 weeks and I'm worried she is suffering.
She hasnt eaten for 7 or 8 days!! I don't know how she is still alive tbh.
I have turned up temp to 82° and have been treating with PrazI pro but ive been told the meds will just help with the healing of her cyst when they pop and make sure other fish don't get it.
She is my first fish in the hobby and she has given us 500 fry and I guess I'm wondering if I should put her down ??
She is a real fighter, she made it through nitro cycle because I didnt know about it and had to research it once I saw other fish die and she was gasping and had ammonia burns on her gills and had redness in her fin line :(

She is a real fighter but I'm caught between her suffering and her getting better?!

Any suggestions or advice on putting her down or helping her?
Thx
Sorry to report she passed yesterday after 45 days from the first lumps.

The pics I posted were the early stages, after a couple weeks she started to gasp which led me to research more and come to the conclusion she had also contracted in gills.
All of the points I have read I did first and rechecked and checked again.

PrazI pro just ended up being a precaution for the other fish and yes big WC before adding.

My regret is that I let her suffer :( next time I have a gasping fish and it carries on for more then a week I'm ending it.
She was a fighter and my first fish in tne hobby :(
Gave me a lot joy. And 500 or more fry that have made their way into many homes
Thx for the bump I was actually getting a little upset because it sucks feeling helpless and I was up against my biggest worry in tbe hobby so far, and because I had great support in the past , I had these expectations as well and then hoping that someone would give me the ok to put her down perhaps. Lol. Plus I had already made a post about it and got no reply on another fish site.
Thx everyone who weighed in tho.
I'm still gonna enjoy my 5 tanks and looking into getting some pea puffers for my 15 gallon!
Mike

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sucks you didnt get the help you wanted. In my experience if I have something that I need help with and don't get a response I just post updates to keep the thread and eventually people will see. So much gets posted on here things can disappear in a couple of hours. Sorry for your loss

New Threads