Cats, Tigers, And Sharks

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You tank seems pretty well stocked as is. I'd actually recommend getting a larger tank in the near future.

If you have somewhere of around a 55 gallon, then I think a shark would be fine. But they get too big for a 10 gallon.

The barbs might get aggressive with the cories. I used to have 2 barbs in a 10gallon. I know most people would say it's too small, but they lived for years and this was before I knew about all the stocking issues I had. These days, they recommend getting a school of at least 6 or more schooling fish.

So with a bigger tank, like a 55g, I'd add a few more barbs and the shark, possibly more cories... See how the barbs act around them. My barbs were like mini piranhas and would nip everything. Hence why they were by themselves.

BroitSerg

Reaction score
oOBlueOo said:
You tank seems pretty well stocked as is. I'd actually recommend getting a larger tank in the near future.

If you have somewhere of around a 55 gallon, then I think a shark would be fine. But they get too big for a 10 gallon.

The barbs might get aggressive with the cories. I used to have 2 barbs in a 10gallon. I know most people would say it's too small, but they lived for years and this was before I knew about all the stocking issues I had. These days, they recommend getting a school of at least 6 or more schooling fish.

So with a bigger tank, like a 55g, I'd add a few more barbs and the shark, possibly more cories... See how the barbs act around them. My barbs were like mini piranhas and would nip everything. Hence why they were by themselves.
Well the goal is to start planting towards the back of the tank so the corys have somewhere to hide while the barbs are at the front of the tank. From what I've been reading as long as I get 5 or more barbs their aggression will be more towards each other then their tank mates, hopefully with 4 they will be fine. I understand what you mean by piranhas I've seen them spare a couple times now it's pretty exciting haha. I appreciate your input do you think my bio load is to much for the tank already? Or do you think 8 can squeeze 1 or two more fish right now I just feel as if I have a medium and bottom dwellers but no fish for the top. Maybe a couple mollies? Eventually I would like to go up and get a bigger tank but not for a few months I want to get perfect clear water for a month before I get a bigger tank if it's possible.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally I would not add anything else to the tank. And definitely not Mollies, they have a large bioload are pretty active and would probably push your tank well past overstocked before they finished growing. I'd wait until you have a larger tank for sure. They can also be a bit bossy and between Mollies and Barbs I think your poor Cories would bear the brunt of a lot of nips, chasing and harassment from them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom