cats knocked my light into the tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by kidster9700, Jul 30, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

So my butt head cats can't help themselves when they see anacharis floating in the water... my 5.5 doesn't have a hood, just a fluorescent light+fixture and since i figured they would be messing with my tank while i was at work i left it off. good thing i did because i just came home to it almost completely submerged!
    so i unplugged the light, and its sitting on a towel. i think i'm going to just buy a hood + light combo for the tank since i'm clearly never going to do the DIY hood i was planning.
    think the light will be okay since it was off? i'm just concerned because it was still plugged in. i didn't get shocked when i pulled it out, so i assume the two glolights that were temporarily housed in there are fine. cats are so annoying...

2. lbonini1

lbonini1Well Known MemberMember

If you didn't get shocked when you pulled it out and you didn't try turning the light on soon after then it should be fine.

Just let it dry for a few days and then you can turn it on to test it. Also yes get that hood because I've heard of cats peeing inside tanks and causing Ammonia issues.

I think I even read a case on that here so....get that hood!

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Dear lord... Peeing in the tank???
    Do you know if there's a versa top for a 5.5? That way I wouldn't have to pay the extra money for another light. Unless Aqueon sells 5.5 gal tank hoods without the light haha

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Matt68046

Matt68046Valued MemberMember

I dislike cats for this reason, as well as they eat my plants and birds, and they shove their rear in your face when your trying to type.

5. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Yeah, mine do eat all my plants as well. That's why they go fishing in my 5.5... I had anacharis floating and it's just irresistible!
    I also believe the cats are responsible for a missing Molly fry that I never found the body of...

6. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Is it just a rectangular glass tank? And if you don't get a new light now, you will need one eventually. Water may not kill it immediately, but eventually it will.

I had a cat that used to jump into my tanks.....

7. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Standard 5.5. And that's true, it'll corrode the metal and stuff. That thing was like $20! Although the bulb is CRAZY bright! It's a shame I don't want to keep it a planted tank (although if the new hood and the old lightbulb are compatible then I may have to.... Otherwise I could blind my betta!)
    The only reason I got the solo light was because I couldn't find the hood+light setup for the tank back when I bought it.

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

awwww yea! went to another petco to get my cats their food and see if they had crushed coral. they did not. BUT they had the 5 gal 16" versa top 20% off because it didn't have the little knob thing! its like a millimeter too long, so i think i can sand that down with a thing. but hood problem solved.

9. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

So it looks like the ends are rusted a little, and I want to take the bulb out and clean it off. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'm just stupid or what, I can't figure out how to remove the bulb?! Here's the corrosion and the whole fixture. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438377579.409069.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438377595.320859.jpg

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

*bump* please? i need help removing the bulb...

11. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

If I recall, you spin the bulb around until the prongs are at the top and it should just slide out. ...it's been a long time since I've changed one though so I may not be remembering correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

okay, thats what i thought too but it isn't turning. i didn't want to force it. :/ i think its corroded in place...
    its also super hard to get a good grip because of the hood part

13. Bijou88

Hmmm, if it's a dual pin it should rotate, counter clockwise I think (not too sure though) and release. If it's a single pin you just have to pull it to one side and the other should release.

14. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

its dual pin, and counterclockwise would be dependent on what side you're looking at ;) so the direction probably doesn't matter. but i know that it SHOULD turn but the issue is it won't. and i can see corrosion in there and i think thats why, but i'm trying to remove it to clean the corrosion. its a little ironic.

15. Bijou88

If it's just corrosion it will eventually give. Just grab and turn the metal parts instead of the glass to lessen the chance of breaking. This sounds stupid, but you might try donking the metal bits with something a few times too, that will sometimes knock enough of the corrosion bits (you know what I mean) around that it might loosen.

16. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

well i can't really get a good grip since its so close on one side. i'm basically squishing my fingers and that makes it hard. :/ maybe like, pliers? on the metal part. or will that bend it?\

the plastic bits holding it that are supposed to turn are not giving. the piece keeping the whole bulb ensemble is, though. -_- i'm going to break the hood before this stupid bulb rotates!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  17. Bijou88

Try donking it before you resort to pliers, I'd worry about breaking it with pliers. ...

18. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I donked it but nothing. Here's the amount of space I'm working with. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438396297.266754.jpg
    And I am known for having terrible grip with my fingertips. I have no clue why, but pinching things and turning or pulling them is just not what my hands are made for doing. Now my fingers are sore and wimpier

i gotta stop now. i'm getting too frustrated. if i keep going at it i'm going to get myself way too worked up and will most likely break it. my temper is quick to rise...

19. Bijou88

Do you have anything like a gripper? Like, a no slide thing you put under rugs or something rubbery to help open jars? That's all I can think of that would safely help at this point.

I understand completely about the temper, i really have to try to not throw things against the wall when I get frustrated with them, lol.

20. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

i might, but i would not know the location of said object. i'll get it eventually... but the corrosion on the pins is really really bad. i'm pretty sure if i just scrub it off it's okay, right? or will i need to replace the pins? its apparently more expensive to get just the light+holder than a hood with a light and thats annoying because i just bought that versa top lol. my dad is pretty handy so if i can just get him when he's not grumpy maybe he'll help me fix it. :/

Yup. Can be removed. Dads gotta break it cause it's so corroded. I'm hoping it's just the bulb and not the whole thing that's broken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice