cats brought home a freind!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by FishVixen, Mar 22, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

4 days ago I found a present in bed with me. A baby squirrel. His eyes arn't open yet. Well now I'm feeding every 4-6 hours a baby squirrel. Today he started crawling around and opened his eyes.(just for a moment) The cats are ignoring him. At this moment he's asleep in my shirt. We have tons of trees and a stream behind the house so as soon as possible he'll be back to nature. I know nothing about raising a squirrel to the wild any ideas appreciated. he is being syringed feed a mix for baby rodents and doing well with it.

2. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

Awe, sounds adorable! I know my mom had a baby pet flying squirrel named Skippy (like the peanut butter) when she was little. I have had experience with baby birds, but not squirrels. Hope all goes well! (pics are a must!!)

3. OP
    OP
    FishVixen

How dare I forget the pics! Here he is. He's about the size of my fist.

Attached Files:

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

He is absolutely precious! Thank you so much for sharing him with us.

5. djbrist

djbrist Valued Member Member

Wow fishvixen, you have a heart of gold. I tried many years ago to parent an orphaned squirrel, or so I thought. I didn't have luck or real knowledge of the care they required. Unfortunately for me, I should have left it under the tree the nest was in, as I saw the mother the next day, and I thought since I'd touched it there was no chance of it being re-accepted, but these links say otherwise for some occasions.

may be helpful:

Dave

6. OP
    OP
    FishVixen

When i called rescue they told me they had no room for him and just put him outside or raise him. We have tons of cats in the neighborhood including my 4. He would have not made it 30 min outside. I'm retired so I'm at home all the time so we'll see how it goes. So far he's taking formula and going to the bathroom and starting to move around more. Thanks for the thread. Actiually I've been doing pretty much what the posting said to do. Thanks once again.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello FishVixen,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. The squirrel is too cute!
    Best wishes!
    Ken

8. l

lorabell Well Known Member Member

aweeeeeeeee!!!!! How great u r doing this....during huricane season(they(too many of them get knocked out of their nests) Ive had my fair share.......love raising them up.....your doin a great job...I make a formula of goats milk,baby food,and karo.....just keep him full and warm!!!!!

9. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Cute. If he's eating and going to the bathroom after five days, you're doing something right. At the NeoNatal Intensive Care Unit my wife works at, those are two of the most basic indicators of baby health (the third being "the baby isn't blue.") Of course, they've got all the monitors and stuff, but often, eating and digestion will start to go, or the baby will turn blue, before the monitors notice there's anything wrong.
    One of my cats brought me presents, but they were always pre-butchered. Before we adopted her, she'd leave them on the front doorstep. Then, for awhile, we had a mouse problem, and she'd make presents of those. Thankfully, she never delivered any of the mice to our bed.

I'm guessing you've done your homework, but I just want to be absolutely sure you've got the best chance of success. Are you feeding a calcium supplement (the link I read says to use a product called Osteoform) in addition to basic formula? Also, they suggest using a puppy milk formula, rather than human milk formula. It's probably closer in nutrients (aside from calcium, apparently) than the human stuff.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  10. Robin4

Robin4 Valued Member Member

Oh how exciting! When I was very little we had a "pet" squirrel named Suzie.... She lived outside but we could feed her up close. More pictures please..... :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice