Cats And Snakes

Kysarkel000
If my snake gets out of it's cage, and my cat eats it, will the cat leave the snakes head or guts or anything? Will the cat have a bite mark from the snake? Snake blood? Or will there be no sign?

How do you tell if your cat ate your snake or if the snake is just m.i.a.?

***UPDATE***

I FOUND HER!!!

After almost 3 months of her missing, she decided she was thirsty and knocked over some lawn chairs we had leaning against a wall. When we checked what the noise was, there she was! She ended up drinking her entire dish full of water 2 times and then soaked in the 3rd refill. She looks pretty good, although there is a tiny scratch on her head/neck area and looks like she's missing 2 scales on her body. I think these are just from her being a snake and should clear up soon. The only other thing is that the very tippy end of her tail is bright red. It doesn't look like it was severed or anything. It's just red. Should I be worried about that? Anything I can do to make it better?

Thank you all again for your help, advice, and patience!

Gypsy13
Ok. Because cats like to play with their prey, depends on the size of the snake. Over a foot long there should be telltale signs of a good cat/snake struggle. Now, keep in mind if the cat is an experienced hunter a quick kill is possible. Normally though they have to have fun with it before killing. And after sometimes. Some cats will eat the whole thing. Some just the head. Some will just kill.
So. What kind of snake have we got missing? Did the cat seem extremely satisfied when you saw it? Mine bring them as gifts. Joy. I’ve only had one cat bitten by a snake. Diamond back. Four footer. Snake dead. Cat fine. Poor snake.

So. Tell me! This is exciting!

BReefer97
I think there would be a sign of it. Snakes have a lot of bones and it’s hard for me to see a cat eating the entire thing. While it’s surely possible, I doubt it. We have a 30 pound cat that loves to hunt for things and bring us “gifts,” usually in my shoes - but with all the escaped snakes we’ve had in the past, he’s never found or injured one. He has sat on the screen of a snake tank before and busted through, but he’s never found a snake to kill in the house.

My best guess is that your snake has found a spot to hide and it’s sticking to it. Don’t give up hope! Snakes can live many many months without eating, and like I said in your previous post - snakes that have escaped have turned back up completely healthy well over a year after they got out.

We had a rat snake escape over a year ago, and we just found some of his shed skins in the basement last week - we're still on the hunt for him!

Kysarkel000
Ok. Because cats like to play with their prey, depends on the size of the snake. Over a foot long there should be telltale signs of a good cat/snake struggle. Now, keep in mind if the cat is an experienced hunter a quick kill is possible. Normally though they have to have fun with it before killing. And after sometimes. Some cats will eat the whole thing. Some just the head. Some will just kill.
So. What kind of snake have we got missing? Did the cat seem extremely satisfied when you saw it? Mine bring them as gifts. Joy. I’ve only had one cat bitten by a snake. Diamond back. Four footer. Snake dead. Cat fine. Poor snake.

So. Tell me! This is exciting!
My 2 -1/2 ft ball python got out of her tank, and it's been 4 days. I've looked everywhere, set traps, slept in each room the the house to see if I could hear her move around and there is absolutely no sign of her. I fear she either got into the garbage that went out to the street that first night, or the cat ate her.

My cat used to be a stray and used to hunt and eat rats at my old place. He is an amazing and prolific hunter. I left a mouse in the snakes cage last night before work to see if she'd come get it, but somehow the cat got it first and I came home to him munching down on the last half of the mouse... Disgusting!!!... There was no sign of the mouse afterwards. No blood, no guts/head, nothing. I'm honestly glad there's no blood, otherwise my fiance would have been buying us a new white carpet! Poor mouse tho. My fiance is now convinced the cat ate our snake.

Kysarkel000
I think there would be a sign of it. Snakes have a lot of bones and it’s hard for me to see a cat eating the entire thing. While it’s surely possible, I doubt it. We have a 30 pound cat that loves to hunt for things and bring us “gifts,” usually in my shoes - but with all the escaped snakes we’ve had in the past, he’s never found or injured one. He has sat on the screen of a snake tank before and busted through, but he’s never found a snake to kill in the house.

My best guess is that your snake has found a spot to hide and it’s sticking to it. Don’t give up hope! Snakes can live many many months without eating, and like I said in your previous post - snakes that have escaped have turned back up completely healthy well over a year after they got out.

We had a rat snake escape over a year ago, and we just found some of his shed skins in the basement last week - we're still on the hunt for him!
When they find a cozy spot, do they just sit there and not move? Cause I've set traps and made the house cold, and I've slept in each room to see I I'd hear her moving around. Nothing.

I appreciate you responding to my posts. I just hate not knowing where my snake is or if she's dead or not.

BReefer97
When they find a cozy spot, do they just sit there and not move? Cause I've set traps and made the house cold, and I've slept in each room to see I I'd hear her moving around. Nothing.

I appreciate you responding to my posts. I just hate not knowing where my snake is or if she's dead or not.

Definitely. It depends on the snake, but since I now know it’s a ball python, she’s probably held up somewhere. They like really tight and secure places, so check even in spots you don’t think she could fit. Check in shoes and anywhere you can think of. She’s somewhere. When I would lose something (which is constantly), I would start from one end of the house and work my way to the next end. You need to be sure you check every single area as you go. And if you don’t find anything, do it again. If you can get some people to help you out, that would work better too. Just start in a line and work your way through the house.

Kysarkel000
Definitely. It depends on the snake, but since I now know it’s a ball python, she’s probably held up somewhere. They like really tight and secure places, so check even in spots you don’t think she could fit. Check in shoes and anywhere you can think of. She’s somewhere. When I would lose something (which is constantly), I would start from one end of the house and work my way to the next end. You need to be sure you check every single area as you go. And if you don’t find anything, do it again. If you can get some people to help you out, that would work better too. Just start in a line and work your way through the house.
That's exactly what I've done multiple times with my fiance and his friend. We start in the living room, closest to her cage and the heat lamp trap I set up, and move to the farthest room that's cold and full of boxes from moving (they don't help) -.-

I also watch the cats and dog because they can hear and smell the snake. And if the snake tries to move, the one cat will definitely be right there interested in the wiggly noodle. The others don't care that much.

Gypsy13
Just a little note on cats and bones. I had a delicate little cat. Seven pounds of fluff. Acted like dry cat food was too hard to eat. But outside shed catch a full grown rabbit and eat just the skull. Gruesome definitely. Not tiny little bunnies either. Full grown jacks. Bones will not be a deterrent. Just sayin.
But, 2 1/2 ft may give the cat pause. Not mine but maybe yours. And I’d think the cat would’ve slung the snake around a bit. But you see no sign. One thing! In my experience when my cats eat a full grown snake (wish they wouldn’t) they tend to throw it back up. Small snakes and lizards they don’t.
When you’re looking make sure you’re looking like under cushions, down inside chairs and couches, check your baseboard to see if there’s any cracks or holes it could get into. Around electronic equipment, anyplace hide worthy. And if any of your boxes are open, you may want to check them. I hope you find it. Well and healthy.

Kysarkel000
Just a little note on cats and bones. I had a delicate little cat. Seven pounds of fluff. Acted like dry cat food was too hard to eat. But outside shed catch a full grown rabbit and eat just the skull. Gruesome definitely. Not tiny little bunnies either. Full grown jacks. Bones will not be a deterrent. Just sayin.
But, 2 1/2 ft may give the cat pause. Not mine but maybe yours. And I’d think the cat would’ve slung the snake around a bit. But you see no sign. One thing! In my experience when my cats eat a full grown snake (wish they wouldn’t) they tend to throw it back up. Small snakes and lizards they don’t.
When you’re looking make sure you’re looking like under cushions, down inside chairs and couches, check your baseboard to see if there’s any cracks or holes it could get into. Around electronic equipment, anyplace hide worthy. And if any of your boxes are open, you may want to check them. I hope you find it. Well and healthy.
Thanks for the input. As I said earlier, my cat used to be a stray. He's pretty ballsy and definitely a bratty trouble maker. I've seen him eat extra large rats. Caught him inside my freezer eating eggos and frozen mice (he thawed them!). My snake would be no match for him.

On another note, I read about another person who found d their lost snake by using a heat detector thingy. Do you think this (pictures) would work?

Also, how long should I be looking for the snake? People say they find their snakes months to years later... I can't tear my house apart everyday for a year.. and I'm supposed to keep my cats locked up as far away from her cage as I can, but I can't just keep them locked up forever!
1538396488306.jpg
Screenshot_20181001-050507.jpg

BReefer97
Thanks for the input. As I said earlier, my cat used to be a stray. He's pretty ballsy and definitely a bratty trouble maker. I've seen him eat extra large rats. Caught him inside my freezer eating eggos and frozen mice (he thawed them!). My snake would be no match for him.

On another note, I read about another person who found d their lost snake by using a heat detector thingy. Do you think this (pictures) would work?

Also, how long should I be looking for the snake? People say they find their snakes months to years later... I can't tear my house apart everyday for a year.. and I'm supposed to keep my cats locked up as far away from her cage as I can, but I can't just keep them locked up forever!View attachment 485586View attachment 485587

Aww, this really bums me out. I’m really sorry you’re going through all of this. It’s up to you when to stop looking for her, she may appear again and she may not. As for the cats, that’s also a judgement call for you to make.

The thermal imaging camera may work out for you, but that’s pretty expensive. It’s always worth a shot if you’ve got the expenses, but it’s all up to you. Again, I’m really really sorry this is the situation you’re in, it’s never fun.

Kysarkel000
Aww, this really bums me out. I’m really sorry you’re going through all of this. It’s up to you when to stop looking for her, she may appear again and she may not. As for the cats, that’s also a judgement call for you to make.

The thermal imaging camera may work out for you, but that’s pretty expensive. It’s always worth a shot if you’ve got the expenses, but it’s all up to you. Again, I’m really really sorry this is the situation you’re in, it’s never fun.
Ugh! This sucks so much! I just want my snake back I'll probably give it another few days and then rent this camera for a day to see if I can find her anywhere and if not, I'll have to assume she's either outside (dead) or the cat ate her (so dead). I really hope I can find her.

Thanks again for all your input and advice. You're a star.

BReefer97
Any updates?

Kysarkel000
Nope. Still haven't found her We're waiting for bills week to pass, and then we will have extra cash to rent the thermal camera. We are also setting out frozen tawed mice for her in Tupperware containers with holes so only she can get it (not the cat). She hasn't eaten anything from us in a month now...

Gypsy13
Nope. Still haven't found her We're waiting for bills week to pass, and then we will have extra cash to rent the thermal camera. We are also setting out frozen tawed mice for her in Tupperware containers with holes so only she can get it (not the cat). She hasn't eaten anything from us in a month now...

Doesn’t mean she’s not finding something to eat. I hope you find her. Thinking positive!

BReefer97

Even if she isn’t eating, they can go very very long periods without eating. ESPECIALLY ball pythons. Don’t lose hope just be mindful of it every day and she may turn up in the most unsuspecting place.

Kysarkel000
Thanks guys

Kysarkel000
I FOUND HER!!!

After almost 3 months of her missing, she decided she was thirsty and knocked over some lawn chairs we had leaning against a wall. When we checked what the noise was, there she was! She ended up drinking her entire dish full of water 2 times and then soaked in the 3rd refill. She looks pretty good, although there is a tiny scratch on her head/neck area and looks like she's missing 2 scales on her body. I think these are just from her being a snake and should clear up soon. The only other thing is that the very tippy end of her tail is bright red. It doesn't look like it was severed or anything. It's just red. Should I be worried about that? Anything I can do to make it better?

Thank you all again for your help, advice, and patience!

Gypsy13
Yay you! Great wonderful news! I’m so happy you got her safe! If she’s drinking, eating and comfy I think she’s ok. Sweet slitherer!

Kysarkel000
Yay you! Great wonderful news! I’m so happy you got her safe! If she’s drinking, eating and comfy I think she’s ok. Sweet slitherer!
She hasn't eaten anything yet, but she never did accept frozen/thawed mice. We're getting another mouse tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes..

BReefer97
Oh my goodness! When I saw the alert for this thread I was so nervous! Yay! I’m so so happy that you found her! That’s amazing I had faith that she would show up for you some day.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kysarkel000
Replies
Views
emmysjj
  • Question
  • Idkitsathrowaway
  • Cat
Replies
Views