Cats and skin allergies? Help

1. P

PetCentralNotObsessed New Member Member

The fish forum here at FishLore has been so helpful to me. Does anyone know of a similar forum for cats? My 7 year old cat, Lucy, is suffering from some type of skin allergy. She has been on steroid shots for the last 6 months, at the same time she has been a limited ingredient dry cat food diet (first venison, now green pea) to try to see if the allergy is caused by food (chicken was suspect). The limited ingredient diet does not seem to be helping, as the skin allergy comes back as soon as the steroid shot starts to wear off. She had her last steroid shot a few weeks ago and the vet says she can’t have anymore steroid shots because they would weaken her imune system too much with continued use. She can continue on steroids if taken orally; however, we’ve had a very difficult time trying to keep her on oral medicine. Aside from the logistics of actually administering the meds, last time she was on an oral med she got really stressed, withdrew, and pretty much hid all the time. The skin allergy started suddenly last winter. It started after she got her rabies shot. I thought the rabies shot may have caused it but the vet says no. I have not been able to find any helpful info on the web about this. When I think I find something, it often turns out to be an advertisement for an expensive pet food. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    peggyalewis@yahoo.com

Attached Files:

2. VenomGrass

VenomGrass Valued Member Member

Hi; I'm sorry to hear about this :( - I hope she is ok and gets better.
    Try either Cat Forums or I-Love-Cats

:)

3. OP
    OP
    P

PetCentralNotObsessed New Member Member

Thank you! I will be looking at those.
    Peggy

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Pet. I believe we have some veterinarians and vet techs as members. Hopefully they'll see this and have a reply for you. She's a beautiful cat. I hope you can help her out :)
    Best of luck!
    Ken