Cats and Fish

mrjohn

Much like my situation, my roommate and his fiancé split up. We talked last night, and apparently he has a maine **** cat that he is bringing into the home. He is a big cat. Naturally I'm concerned about my fish and the tanks. The 20 gallon has no lid and the light itself is expensive. I keep envisioning the cat trying to get to the fish, knocking the light off and breaking it, cat falling into the water causing a flood, potential fire hazard, dead fish, etc....I could get a glass canopy for the 20 gallon, but this cat is heavy and I don't have faith in the mass produced canopies.

I'm also worried that if I just use the acrylic clips like I have on the 6 gallon that he will just flip the canopy off. That's my main concern on the 6 gallon. So I guess I am wondering if there is a total cat proof canopy. I'm not sure if he'll even care about the fish but as we all know, this hobby isn't cheap. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but anyone with cats and fish, please chime in.

Thank you!

jake37

Can't comment on your cat but the orange tabby we had growing up loved to fish. He would spend hours sticking his paws in the tank trying to grab fishes. Fortunately he was lousy at fishing but he never gave up trying.
-
On the positive this cat hated water and this was one of the rare places he would voluntarily get wet.

mrjohn

jake37 said:
Can't comment on your cat but the orange tabby we had growing up loved to fish. He would spend hours sticking his paws in the tank trying to grab fishes. Fortunately he was lousy at fishing but he never gave up trying.
-
On the positive this cat hated water and this was one of the rare places he would voluntarily get wet.
Good thing he wasn't successful! There really isn't anything for the cat to stand on next to the tank. The tank and stand are meant to be together like bread and butter. Super snug fit, but cats are cats and I'm worried that he'll try to balance on the edge and mess up a whole lot of things.

jake37

Can't comment on your cat but ours certainly would. The thing is ours was a very athletic orange tabby - yours might be one of those large fluffy rugs that finds it a task to walk to the next room.

mrjohn said:
Good thing he wasn't successful! There really isn't anything for the cat to stand on next to the tank. The tank and stand are meant to be together like bread and butter. Super snug fit, but cats are cats and I'm worried that he'll try to balance on the edge and mess up a whole lot of things.

NevermindIgnoreMe

It really depends on the cat, some don’t care at all, some are avid fishers....Until you find out if you have a plastic cookie sheet or serving tray, you could place that over the tank as a temporary precaution while you figure out the cat.

Edit: For a permanent solution you can take measurements of your tank, and get a custom cut piece of acrylic, maybe with holes or something for air flow from a Lowe’s or Home Depot. Also if you do that you’d need to make sure you measure around the filter or have somewhere cut out for cords etc.

Betta'sAnonymous

My cats are kind of fat and used to get up on top of my tank lids all the time to drink. Now i have either little space above the tanks or not a big enough gap for them to drink from so they explore on fewer occasions. So that is something to keep in mind.

mrjohn

Yeah, I haven't met the cat yet so I cannot gauge its personality, but I'm worried as all heck

Edit: sorry Mods. The first blocked word is the type of cat and the second one is opposite of heaven. I'll do better.

Quiche

Oh man, I remember you from that thread a while back about whether anyone has ever found a partner on Fishlore! Sorry to hear about both you and your roommate ): Would it be possible to make or buy a wooden canopy? I think one of those would be strong enough to hold a large cat, depending on construction.

mrjohn

Quiche said:
Oh man, I remember you from that thread a while back about whether anyone has ever found a partner on Fishlore! Sorry to hear about both you and your roommate ): Would it be possible to make or buy a wooden canopy? I think one of those would be strong enough to hold a large cat, depending on construction.
haha. Life has certainly been a roller-coaster lately. That isn't a bad idea, but it would sort of ruin the rimless, clean cut tank look. But it could definitely help me out as a temporary solution. I have some spare wood lying around.

Zach72202

What you could do is if it is a rimmed tank, call a glass shop and have them cut you some pieces of glass to fit your tank, you pay per square foot, so a 20H will probably be 20$ or less. If you get like 5/16ths glass even the fattests of cats won't break it just sitting on it. With reguards to a rimless tank... It really depends...

With my cats, I have a rimless tank I set a piece of glass on top as a lid, which just sits on top, no clips or anything. It is by a windowsill so they like to jump from the tank to the windowsill, many times knocking the lid into the water, but they don't fall in, makes a mess though, so I have it in a room where I keep the door shut unless I am in here.

After a few months with my cats, they aren't exactly strong in the brains department, they gave up on the fish. Occasionally they drink out of the tanks, but thats why the tanks in the living room are brackish and saltwater now , no more of that! They also like to sit by the edge of my other tanks and watch the fish too, attacking the side glass, but this is a 75g with a lid so they can't get in.

If you can just get the tanks in a place where the cat won't get at them it helps, but overtime the stimulus of it may wear off. Get some lids and if the cat still likes to sit on top, get some double sided tape and put it on the lid or surrounding areas, that'll fix 'em quick! They don't like that stuff!

Fishnpups

This is very late but also i was looking up cats on here

It depends on cat temperment but i will say i have 4 cats and 3 fish tanks. No casualties. But i would recommend lids regardless as it keeps cat hair out if the water.

Also, fish are a great source of entertainment for them. Mine will sit and watch the fish. The first day they tried to paw at them but i told them no and now they never try :)

They quite enjoy watching them on the couch with me!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom