Cats and all the Water

Demonskid

I have 3 cats, and for the longest time they refused to drink out of their water fountain. They preferred the water from the plants.
Pothos propagating in a cup: Tight fit, nearly got a furry head stuck in the cup!
Marimo in an old Potpourri bowl: Marimo has been found on the floor a few times just so they could get to the water easier.
Shrimp, Marimo, Anubias, Pothos 1.4 gallon tank: Let's kill off this small pothos that's in the plant basket here because it's in the way of this water source! Small pothos was found on top of the tank, out of the water, roots all dried up and dead. I managed to save it.

I've since added a Marimo to their water fountain... they've been leaving all the other water sources alone. Which is good, because I don't have a lid for my new 5.5g tank!

Anyone have Cats and Water stories they'd like to share?

Betta'sAnonymous

I had one cat that for the longest time the only water he would drink was the water that was coming out of the HOB. When i tore the tank down a few years later, i was actually worried he was going to get dehydrated and die without the fish filter

Ghelfaire

It's Fancy water. My birds like to drink out of my cup or straight from the tap you better believe they try to drink from the aquarium too.

MrBryan723

Used to have a bobcat. She liked to swim and play in the tub. I didn't secure the door while taking a bath one day and she decided to come in. I have an appendage that apparently looks an awful lot like a fish under water. I made extra sure the door was secure after that.
An old picture of us.
IMG-20180713-WA0000.jpg

Betta'sAnonymous

MrBryan723 said:
Used to have a bobcat. She liked to swim and play in the tub. I didn't secure the door while taking a bath one day and she decided to come in. I have an appendage that apparently looks an awful lot like a fish under water. I made extra sure the door was secure after that.
An old picture of us.
IMG-20180713-WA0000.jpg
Bobcats are awesome! Don't think i will keep on as a pet though...my domesticated cats think they are wild kitties enough as it is

aquachris

I got tired of min drinking out of the tanks and filters so I just put down fish tank water with leaf clippings. They no longer bother the tanks and drink from that.

Demonskid

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I had one cat that for the longest time the only water he would drink was the water that was coming out of the HOB. When i tore the tank down a few years later, i was actually worried he was going to get dehydrated and die without the fish filter
How well did he take to his favorite water source disappearing?
MrBryan723 said:
An old picture of us.
IMG-20180713-WA0000.jpg
Bobcats are beautiful creatures, though knowing that as kittens they can pulverize a chicken bone, I wouldn't want one as a pet. I like my fingers.

Thanks for the photo! >w<

Betta'sAnonymous

Demonskid said:
How well did he take to his favorite water source disappearing?

Bobcats are beautiful creatures, though knowing that as kittens they can pulverize a chicken bone, I wouldn't want one as a pet. I like my fingers.

Thanks for the photo! >w<
I forget. I think he just started drinking from the toilet like his sister always did.

Demonskid

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I forget. I think he just started drinking from the toilet like his sister always did.
I don't think I ever had a cat that took interested in toilet water. Zeke, he'll lick at the bathtub drain after we've showered.. We keep the bathroom door shut because of it, don't want to risk him ingesting any soaps.

Skrabbitskrabbit

Ok the fact that your cats decided to drink the fountain water with the moss ball has me rolling and I may try that one day hilarious
This is my cat next to his “watering hole” (Don’t mind the shelf above... the adult watering hole) he drinks out of the filter or will MOVE the LID to drink

98684EC4-1152-4A1F-B819-1386301825D8.jpeg

He is also notorious for drinking out of unguarded cups of water.

Basil

My cats never bother with the aquarium water but for years we battled with them trying to drink out of the Christmas tree stand. And the sap from a live tree can be toxic.
So we just put a water bowl right next to the tree and they would drink out of that instead.
So now. hubby calls all the cat water bowls “tree water” lol!

Betta'sAnonymous

Demonskid said:
I don't think I ever had a cat that took interested in toilet water. Zeke, he'll lick at the bathtub drain after we've showered.. We keep the bathroom door shut because of it, don't want to risk him ingesting any soaps.
My mom had a cat that for the first few years he would get mad if you flushed the toilet and didn't let him in to watch the water swirl.

SixThreeOh

I have one girl who would only drink from a tank with a Paratilapia polleni. She went flying off the tank several times as he didn't appreciate her doing that.

Demonskid

Basil said:
My cats never bother with the aquarium water but for years we battled with them trying to drink out of the Christmas tree stand. And the sap from a live tree can be toxic.
So we just put a water bowl right next to the tree and they would drink out of that instead.
So now. hubby calls all the cat water bowls “tree water” lol!
I wished that worked for me.
Never had a live tree.. The only thing we have to worry about during the holidays is the cat's going after our tweeter ornament. Christmas ornaments that sound like twittering birds, sounds nice but the cat's love hunting for the darn thing.
Betta'sAnonymous said:
My mom had a cat that for the first few years he would get mad if you flushed the toilet and didn't let him in to watch the water swirl.
XD Wow, weird hobby to have. That would have made a hilarious youtube video.
Skrabbitskrabbit said:
Ok the fact that your cats decided to drink the fountain water with the moss ball has me rolling and I may try that one day hilarious
This is my cat next to his “watering hole” (Don’t mind the shelf above... the adult watering hole) he drinks out of the filter or will MOVE the LID to drink

98684EC4-1152-4A1F-B819-1386301825D8.jpeg

He is also notorious for drinking out of unguarded cups of water.
I'll share their drinking fountain. The shrimp tank us on top of the desk where their water fountain is below.

20200919_215942.jpg

I tried to get Hiro to pose next to it, but he's being fussy and wants to be fed.

jmaldo

"Kiki" enjoying the fish, or so I thought. Actually, enjoying the water. Picked her up at the APL about 15 years ago. She fit in the palm of my hand. When we first got her, her favorite spot was on my son's shoulder as he walked around. Now at times she still tries to sit on my sons shoulder when he is at the computer.
A few years ago, I had a Super Red Pleco she would watch it all the time, and even swat at it when it came up to the glass.

Kiki enjoying the Bolivians.jpg

kiki1.jpg

kiki2.jpg

Crazy Cat!

erinw347

My cat Sox is the pickiest thing on the planet. For almost a year we couldn’t figure out why he wouldn’t drink and was getting dehydrated. Turns out he will only drink from fountains :rolleyes:
When it comes to eating, he’s even worse. Sox has urinary issues so he’s on a special diet, which means he has to get special urinary health treats. Well if he smells food on your hand when you try to feed him his treats, he will not eat them. Also, he begs at the dinner table like a dog. He will stand up on his hind legs and wack you in the butt for meat! And you know what he does when you give him the meat? He sniffs it, and then looks up at you like it’s not good enough!
C6E71545-E3DC-4B4F-81F6-87F53FD8E576.jpeg

Dexter on the other hand eats everything in sight. You can’t leave plastic out because he will try to eat it. He pulls things out of the trash and runs away with them like a raccoon. He will drink his fountain water, but if you get a glass of water for yourself you are not safe. He will do everything in his power to drink from it. Bad kitty :rolleyes:
7DF0FEE4-B5AC-4CEA-A4D1-DEDDEF02A490.jpeg

My third cat Tabi is the perfect balance. She will eat what you give her and she doesn’t eat trash :p

F75EDA87-DFF0-4543-80D2-B9D5C587302A.jpeg

Betta'sAnonymous

Yep, in our house we prefer our cats to have at least a certain amount of the DERP factor!

WrenFeenix

My cats will drink running and still water, and thankfully leave my fish tanks alone. They do, however, have a weird fascination with the toilet.

But they don’t drink out of it, no. They like to WATCH you go, and will try to look into the toilet while you’re on it. It’s like they’re blown away by the fact I poop too.:eek:

Betta'sAnonymous

WrenFeenix said:
My cats will drink running and still water, and thankfully leave my fish tanks along. They do, however, have a weird fascination with the toilet.

But they don’t drink out of it, no. They like to WATCH you go, and will try to look into the toilet while you’re on it. It’s like they’re blown away by the fact I poop too.:eek:
It's more that you need help and supervision, amd cats are certified Master Poopers

Demonskid

WrenFeenix said:
My cats will drink running and still water, and thankfully leave my fish tanks alone. They do, however, have a weird fascination with the toilet.

Haha, wonder if thats a thing with ALL cats.. Every cat I've ever had just had to join me in the bathroom. Except they all just demand to be petted. My being on the toilet is optimal petting time for them apparently. Zeke use to climb into my lap during those times, he's too old now thankfully.

Top Bottom