Catfish with popeye

1. dramanea Member Member

Hello,
    I have a tank with a community of fish, and one of the six Corydoras has Popeye. I can't afford to get a second tank to isolate it in, so is there anything else I can do? I have been putting in Melafix once a day for the two days since it's started, and I just recently did a water change. Is it contagious? Can it be cured? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Usually popeye is from something going on in the water. Do you know your perimeters at this moment? Also, are you still using salt?

3. dramanea Member Member

I am still using salt. PH is 6.4, Ammonia 0. Is the PH too low?

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Usually pop eye comes from bad water quality. Your ammonia is 0, what is your nitrite and nitrate?

In the mean time do huge water changes every day, twice if you can. Do at least a 50% water change. This should start to rectify the problem.

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Most fish can adapt to all levels of PH as long as its stable. I would stop using the salt as FW fish do not require it and it acts more of an irritant. What are you nitrite and nitrate levels? What test kit are you using? And it is contagious if the water quality is off. The disease itself isnt though