Catfish- Upside Down Or Featherfin?

emfish

I brought these fish as UDC but am now thinking they are Featherfins! Can someone help ASAP

TwoHedWlf

Looks like a featherfin.(Synodontis eupterus) Though, I think fish stores frequently call any of the synos "Upside down cats", so yay for common names.

emfish

Brought them as Synodontis nigriventris. So annoyed as my tank is only 25 gallons and that's not big enough for 1. Let alone 3. Got told they would get to around 4 inches. Same size as corydoras. Thank you for your response.

emfish

It says they need 200 litres. Does anyone know Is this just for 1!!? No other fish

TwoHedWlf

It says they need 200 litres. Does anyone know Is this just for 1!!? No other fish
Sounds about right, yeah. My two are about the size of my hand.

emfish

I don't know what to do. I have 3 of them in a 25 gallon. That's too small. They are about 3.5 inches atm so nowhere near full size. But the only tank I have as a spare in the loft is a 10 gallon? Which also isn't big enough for them. They are with harlequins, guppies, mollies, corydoras, and otinculus. I don't want any of my other fish to be hurt by them?
But I've had them for around 4 months now and I love them, and would feel bad giving them up. What do you think is the best thing to do? Obv they aren't full size yet and I'm moving the beginning of next year and am planning to get a bigger tank but I'm not sure if the fish can wait that long for the tank? I have nowhere to put a 200 litre atm apart from where the 25 gallon one is? So upset about this.... What size tank do you have?

TexasDomer

You can rehome them or get a bigger tank and keep them. I wouldn't wait a year to get a bigger tank, so if you can't get one before that, rehoming them is your best option.

emfish

Do you think I could possibly keep one or would I be better off rehoming all 3 and getting something such as a bristlenosed Plec. As I am so in love with catfish generally and would love to have at least 1 catfish. Obv I would wait until I move. When I brought them they were only about half an inch. I didn't think they would get as big as they are now. Clearly pet shops are very deceiving

TwoHedWlf

Mollies+guppies said:
Do you think I could possibly keep one or would I be better off rehoming all 3 and getting something such as a bristlenosed Plec.
Really a completely different type of fish, depends on what you like.

When I brought them they were only about half an inch. I didn't think they would get as big as they are now. Clearly pet shops are very deceiving
Where are you? Might help give a better suggestion.

TexasDomer

I would rehome all of them.

How many of each fish do you have in the tank? Both cories and otos are catfish.

sfsamm

Mollies+guppies said:
Brought them as Synodontis nigriventris. So annoyed as my tank is only 25 gallons and that's not big enough for 1. Let alone 3. Got told they would get to around 4 inches. Same size as corydoras. Thank you for your response.
Sorry to hear you got nailed on that trick.... I did too in about May this year. Ordered them through my lfs, saw them and was quite happy. They were all of maybe an inch of body at the time. Fast forward to now... I have four Synodontis Eupterus, one at 7", two 5.5-6.5", and the last nearing in at 5". My 7" bohemeth might be larger than 7". They grow extremely fast. Good luck keeping a plant in the soil if it's not rooting in deep already. Also to note, they aren't exactly friendly to each other. I almost always have someone running around with half a pectoral fin (water change a couple days back and there's a random chunk of fin on my intake... I did manage to rehome one after his arm was completely ripped from his socket... I named him "limbless" and he got a mercy adoption (he's around 6" now FYI). Good news they seem to be fine with other fish, but I wouldn't trust them with anything small like danios or rasbora or torpedo shaped small anythings.

emfish

10 harlequin rasboras
10 guppies
2 mollies
3 corydoras
2 ottos
3 synodontis eupterus

Obviously it's too small for them. I'm in ruislip, London. Really want to keep them. But I don't know if I can... I know it's not fair but I spoke to a fish place and asked if they could keep them until I get a bigger tank but they said that they will be in a smaller tank than the 25 gallons they are in now and I don't want that for them. I'm moving around July next year and am planning to get a very large tank but I don't want to leave them in such a small tank until then. Thanks for everyone's responses. This site and the people on it are very helpful! What was your better suggestion TwoHedWlf

TexasDomer

What are the dimensions of your tank? I would add more otos and cories. Both need to be in bigger groups.

I would rehome them then But you can get more when you get a bigger tank!

emfish

Thank you everyone for your help!

emfish

UPDATE:
For everyone that helped me, I took my Featherfins back to where they mis sold me them, they accepted them even though they said that they 'knew their fish' and didn't sell me them as USC (they did), I exchanged the fish for some ottos and corydoras so that they are now in groups in my 25 gallon
corydoras- 6
Ottos- 3 (I am going to get more soon)
wish I could have kept them but it wouldn't have been fair

I also got some molly or guppy fry from the molly/guppy fry tanks in this place, I will put these in my 9 gallon until they are bigger then move them over to my 25 gallon when they get bigger as I now have a lot of space.

Took me so long to catch the Featherfins as I didnt want to net them, had to wait until they swam into a bottle and then catch them without stressing them out, didnt want to net them and their dorsal fin to get stuck, hopefully they are happier and have more space now!! they do seem to look after their fish their so hopefully they get bought and put in a bigger tank!!

The Featherfins went into 2 big tanks at the fish store, 2 in one tank with cichlids and the other in a tank with cichlids and another Featherfin, hopefully someone will snap them up soon....

Thank you everyone!!

Top Bottom