Catfish to eat brown algae off of glass

1. v

vasyat Valued Member Member

Hi. I have a 16 gallon tank with platies and amano shrimp. The water parameters are good (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5) and lighting is on a siesta schedule (6 hours on, 4 off, 4 on). Between the low nitrates and amanos, virtually all of my algae is gone, but I still get brown algae on the aquarium glass. It is very difficult to clean because the amanos chase the brush I use, so I have to be very careful not to hurt them. Question is what catfish would be good at eating the algae off the glass? I like corries but am not sure they would fit the bill. I know snails would work but my daughter just doesn't like them. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

I have had a problem with brown algae in a couple of my tanks with otos so I wouldn't recommend them. I have no algae issues in the tanks with a bristle nose pleco so that's a good option or a couple nerite snails.

Cories will not eat algae off the glass.

For my oto tanks, I just manually clean it as it crops up.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Cories won't eat algae at all.

4. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

They will graze algae, but not enough for removal and never off glass like an algae eater does.

5. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

My mystery snails take care of most of it. I still just wipe the glass once a week with a clean wash cloth. It only takes a few minutes.

6. DoubleDutch

Corys are 99% carnivores. They will scavage the surface.

7. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

There aren't any fish that are appropriate for a 16g that would eat algae and I agree that corys aren't algae eaters.

If this is new setup, diatoms will go away in time. You can just wipe them off yourself. :)

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

And it might be helpful to reduce your lighting to 4 hours on, 4 hours off, 4 hours on. 10 hours on is still a lot.

9. DoubleDutch

Brown algae often is caused by low lights.

10. TexasDomer

But leaving the low PAR lights on for extra two hours won't be helpful if it's still such a low light, right? Those extra hours might allow other algae types to grow. A better light (with a higher PAR value) would be better.

11. DoubleDutch

The first I don't know, the latter I agree with.

12. OP
    OP
    v

vasyat Valued Member Member

I use 2 lights in the tank, a 6700k T8 fixture (sold specifically for plants) and a Finnex Stingray. I don't have the ability to measure PAR but am guessing I'm in the low to slightly intermediate range.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. TexasDomer

You're in the low light range still. I'd decrease your lighting to 8 hours still.