catfish sick plez help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by fish_r_friend, Apr 9, 2006.

1. fish_r_friend

fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

one of my cat fish appearers to have fin rot :( any help would be appreciated

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Maracyn or maracyn II should help. do a large water change before using the meds.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    fish_r_friend

ok il go do one would 50% work also insted of maracyn or maracyn II would mela fix work?

4. Butterfly

yes 50% would be good. Have never used Melafix. Just read the instructions. It should tell you if it will work or not. Keep us posted. sorry your fish is sick :(
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    fish_r_friend

well he didn't make it last night :'( he must have had something besides finrot

6. Butterfly

I'm so sorry you lost him!!! :( Still be sure and do a large water change for your other fish.
    Carol

7. newbie101

newbie101Well Known MemberMember

sorry about your fish :'(

8. Jason

JasonWell Known MemberMember

BTW I have used Melafix and its fungal conterpart Pimafix and they seem to do a fairly good job and they are all natural which also good.

Sorry to hear about your losses! :'(

9. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Melafix will do an adequate job on a lot of things but it is not the best thing for finrot. Raising the temperature and giving something like Maracyn or the Jungle Labs Fungus Tabs (they fizz in the water) It is also (like J-Man and Butterfly said absolutely necessary to keep the water clean as it is caused a lot of time by poor water quality)

I am very sorry about your fish. It is so hard to lose a fish at any time and when they are sick it is a real worry to know what to do to help them. They are just like a part of the family. My deepest sympathies go to you and I have respect for you for caring so much for your fish. Bless you.

Rose
    :'(

10. OP
    OP
    fish_r_friend

im not as sad any more now i just need to find to more of the same corys

11. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry about your fish, I feel for you, I know how it feels. I would just keep doing water changes and don't mess around with the tank at all, like changing stuff around and adding chemicals (accept antibiotics or something to help them) and new plants and fish for a month so the new fish don't get it and your tank settles down. I found that this is the best thing to do.

Austin