Catfish identification

1. O

OSUBuckeyeChick New Member Member

I bought a 150g from someone and this little catfish came with it. The person I bought the tank from said he had no idea where the catfish came from, that he just appeared one day and that maybe his son got him out of Lake Erie and put him in the tank. I think he is a bullhead however this little fish does not match the color descriptions I have read about. This little guy is about 5 inches in length with a white belly and blackish and white colored barbs. Thanks your help! :) 2012-04-23_10-47-57_985.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

Black bullhead was my first guess....

3. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FishLore :;toast

The Channel Catfish is the only catfish, which I know of, that is found in Lake Erie.

4. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

They will also eat anything that will fit in their mouths :)
    carol

6. soltarianknight

Carol carol carol, They will eat ANYTHING. Bottom line period. If it doesnt fit, then they will make it, if it still doesnt fit then they either spit it out or choke to death trying -__- :p.

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

LOL I bought a very small one many years ago when I didn't know any better. I couldn't figure out where my otherwise healthy fish were disappearing to. Until I caught him with half a cory sticking out of his mouth :(
    Carol

8. OP
    OP
    O

OSUBuckeyeChick New Member Member

Until a few days ago, he has been living in a 45g with 2 silver dollars and a few feeder goldfish. He is currently in a 29g with 3 goldfish that are his length and longer (this is a temp home). When he goes back, he will be in the 45g by himself with lots of plants (that's the plan at least). The 150g was bought for a red eared slider that, for some reason, has decided she doesn't like to eat fish all that much. My boyfriend and I both think that the cat could make for a very easy snack for the RES though. We are currently feeding the cat Hikari sinking wafers. Should we be feeding it something different??

9. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

:animal0068: Hi, I've moved your thread to the Fish ID Help forum. Cheers R.

10. soltarianknight

Thats a fish that needs a 75gallon tank at least. Atleast for size, and no amount of plants will make up the bioload. Id rehome it to someone with a pond.