Catfish ID Help 

Freefallgazza

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I thought id just be lazy and ask you guys to ID him for me.

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I Dont Belive That Is A Catfish Looks More Like A Pleco

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Its a catfish. Its a spotted raphael, they like to be kept in groups and are nocturnal, you will hardly see it during the day.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would tend to agree with Ben, it looks like , known around here as a "spotted raphael." It's a bit hard to tell for sure while the fish is still bagged, but a picture after he or she gets released may help if you look over the pictures in the link above and disagree.

UNTAMEDlore said:
Plecos are catfish "Catfish" just means any animal in the Siluriformes order, and the family plecos fall into, Loricariidae, are part of that order.

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
UNTAMEDlore said:
Plecos are types of catfish

looks like to me like a spotted raphael catfish though

Chris

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chris123 said:
Plecos are types of catfish

looks like to me like a spotted raphael catfish though

Chris
I guess they are as suggested but it is hard to tell whilst in a bag, I'm no expert on the cats or any of the ground feeders, so I would disregard my opion

Freefallgazza

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry about the delay but I lost my camera

Here some Pics

Attachments

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup, spotted raphael

Freefallgazza

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice one boys!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We call them Spotted Doras over here, (from the family Doradidae). I always wondered what you guys were talking about when you spoke of Spotted Raphael. I guess now I know. Doras (as we call them) are cool.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have one of those! he creeps me out >.< don't use a net on him tho, as his spines will get stuck in it and you will have to cut him out and then buy a new one. I use a disposable plastic party cup (new and well rinsed, of course) if I need to move him. if you don't know already, they're also called Talking Catfish, and with good reason. they make a funny croaking/groaning sound when you take them out of the water. just letting you know so you don't freek out later lol they like just about anything that hits the bottom, including small fish and snails and get around 5-6 inches

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Akari_32 said:
I have one of those! he creeps me out >.< don't use a net on him tho, as his spines will get stuck in it and you will have to cut him out and then buy a new one.
For these guys (and any other spiny fish), you can remove the mesh from a net & put a plastic fish transport bag in it's place. Sew the bag to frame with fishing line & use a hole punch to put a heap of holes in the bag for water to flow through. It takes 15mins of your time & means destroying a net but no more fish stuck in the netting makes it well worth it.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter said:
For these guys (and any other spiny fish), you can remove the mesh from a net & put a plastic fish transport bag in it's place. Sew the bag to frame with fishing line & use a hole punch to put a heap of holes in the bag for water to flow through. It takes 15mins of your time & means destroying a net but no more fish stuck in the netting makes it well worth it.
that's a good idea! I dunno why I never thot of that! =C I keep all of my fish bags in case I need them for something (like trading fish with friends lol)

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
beautiful fish!.. if ever got another large.. or larger community tank I would love to house some of those

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Are those guppies I see in the tank he is going into? I would be a little concerned they might become a midnight snack at some point...although I also see you have guppies in with an oscar, which is an even bigger concern.

Freefallgazza

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't have my Oscars anymore, I sold them on before they got to big for my tank.
How fast do you think he will grow as he is only 2 inches at the moment and does not seem to pose a threat to my guppy's. If it all goes I'll plop him in another tank.

Haha I did not mean to swear

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads