Catfish ID? haha

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Ken Patterson, Jul 28, 2015.

1. K

Ken Patterson New Member Member

Hi, I'm curious as to which catfish I just bought a pair of? I've included a few pics and hopefully it'll help. According to the local aquarium shop I acquired them from, they're "Synodontis Lace Catfish" and paid about $8 a piece for them. I really hope someone can identify these guys, just incase they need some special treatment or food, and so I'll know if they will grow rather large, or too large for my 65gallon. Right now, they are about 1.2" each.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea I think they grow up to 8" or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    It's definitely in the Synodontis genus. Could you get better pics? hampalong may be able to help, too.

4. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Not lace cats which are Synodontis nigrita. but featherfins Synodontis eupterus. Featherfins grow a little larger than lace cats and need some green food. Otherwise they a easy to keep.

5. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

S. eupterus, which are also commonly called Lace Catfish. They're territorial, so will probably end up as bully and bullied. They're better kept singly.

6. OP
    OP
    K

Ken Patterson New Member Member

I really appreciate you guy's response.
    I did a quick google search of the "featherfin catfish" and this is one of the first listed results:
    Will mine grow to look like this, if I can keep them alive that long?

I'm excited to be a part of a fish loving community and hope to learn a whole lot more while keeping in the hobby. THANKS ^_^

7. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Yes, more or less.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice