Catfish ID? haha

Ken Patterson

Reaction score
Hi, I'm curious as to which catfish I just bought a pair of? I've included a few pics and hopefully it'll help. According to the local aquarium shop I acquired them from, they're "Synodontis Lace Catfish" and paid about $8 a piece for them. I really hope someone can identify these guys, just incase they need some special treatment or food, and so I'll know if they will grow rather large, or too large for my 65gallon. Right now, they are about 1.2" each.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yea I think they grow up to 8" or so.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!
It's definitely in the Synodontis genus. Could you get better pics? hampalong may be able to help, too.

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not lace cats which are Synodontis nigrita. but featherfins Synodontis eupterus. Featherfins grow a little larger than lace cats and need some green food. Otherwise they a easy to keep.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
S. eupterus, which are also commonly called Lace Catfish. They're territorial, so will probably end up as bully and bullied. They're better kept singly.

Ken Patterson

Reaction score
I really appreciate you guy's response.
I did a quick google search of the "featherfin catfish" and this is one of the first listed results:
Will mine grow to look like this, if I can keep them alive that long?

I'm excited to be a part of a fish loving community and hope to learn a whole lot more while keeping in the hobby. THANKS ^_^

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ken Patterson said:
I really appreciate you guy's response.
I did a quick google search of the "featherfin catfish" and this is one of the first listed results:
Will mine grow to look like this, if I can keep them alive that long?

I'm excited to be a part of a fish loving community and hope to learn a whole lot more while keeping in the hobby. THANKS ^_^
Yes, more or less.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads