Catfish: has a red bump?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by s2reii, Apr 3, 2006.

1. s2reiiNew MemberMember

Hey Guys,

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out... my catfish one large one and one small one, both have a redish bump just above their gill and under their right eye... if anyone knows what it is or better yet what i could do to fix it, i would be so so grateful.
    anyways I've attached a photo of the large catfish and his spot, hope you can see it.

Attached Files:

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

This might be able to help you diagnose your fish somewhat. I am at a loss and will direct Dino to this thread. Welcome to FishLore, and hopefully we can help you get your fish back on track!

From  :

If you are having disease problems, then I hope this will help.

3. s2reiiNew MemberMember

Thanks for the quick reply & the warm welcome, this is my first time using a forum... I'm just kinda desperate to figure out what's wrong with him... At first I thought it was an ulcer, but it doesn't look as nasty as that... before it had a whitish/cloudish substance around the red bump but its gone now. I read through your list but I still can't tell what it is *sigh* I just spotted the mark today so I'll monitor it and see how it is tomorrow morning.

Thanks again =)

s2 reii

O btw, he also has somehow broken his fin, is there anything i should do in particular to help heal that?
    Poor guy hehe we nicknamed him monster because he's so tough, he's survived through everything and all of sudden he has this bump and a broken fin...

4. DinoFishlore VIPMember

Looks like a infected area from an injury.
    Your best course of action is to do a largeish water change of about 35%.
    Do another 35% change 48 hours after the first one.
    What is the size difference between the two ctafish and are they the same species?
    When catfish or most other fish squabble, it is best to add more hiding places.

Hope this helps,
    dino

5. s2reiiNew MemberMember

The large catfish is about 11-12cm, whereas the small one is about 3-4cm and yes they are the same breed... its harder to catch a good look at the small one because she swims really fast. She has a pretty good hiding spot but I might find a little pot for her to go into.

I did a big water chage yesterday when I noticed the bump... So I'll take your advice and do another one tomorrow as well.
    Saw the bump today and still looks the same, hasn't gotten any worse or better... so do you think that the broken fin and bump will heal itself? I don't need to get anything?

Thanks a lot =)

s2reii

6. DinoFishlore VIPMember

I feel that if you continue this water change schedule for 4-5 more times, will be more helpful than medications.
    While medications do have their place, in many cases, I feel largeish water changes are a better way to deal with problems.

Dino

7. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

The fin should grow back as long as you maintain good water quality. :)

8. s2reiiNew MemberMember

Thanks a lot I'll keep repeating the water changes then =) I get abit nervous whenever a fish gets sick because, for me, unfortunately they never make it, especially when I use meds. (maybe I just don't make a very good fish nurse) =P

Thanks again,
    I'll update you with how he's going at a later date, but if any other ideas pop up on what it could be... feel free to tell me

s2reii

9. s2reiiNew MemberMember

umm... will the fin heal back together? It's more like a rip?
    but yes I will check the water regularly and make sure it is in a good condition =)

Thanks

s2reii

10. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes it will heal back together, as long as the water quality is very good. (sorry that's like the 10th time we've said thet :p) If it gives you peace of mind, one of my Otos had really bad finrot and his tail fin was eaten away down the middle (basically split in half), but now he is just fine and it grew back nicely.

11. s2reiiNew MemberMember

Thanks =) I feel a little more relieved... lol I've never worried so much over a fish, I'm obessed and have been checking this forum continously (and I have never turned to a forum for help) I think its because this one is usually so tough and I've had him for years, and trust me he has survived through many many plagues and the massacre of 2002 hehe and if he didn't make it now I would feel like such a horrible carer.
    Thanks for all your speedy replies and you can repeat all you want... gives me no excuse to forget then =P

s2reii

This forum is awesome (o^_^o) b

12. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I don't blame you for being worried, we all love our fishies. ;) I hope he gets better! :)

13. s2reiiNew MemberMember

:( sadly my little monster died *cries*
    I'm still not exactly sure what it was, but now the smaller one seems to be getting the same symptoms, maybe its a parasite? The small catfish had a small white fungus looking spot and now its a red/pink one (looks like raw flesh) - what the big one had...

*sigh* hopefully it would end the same.

14. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I am so sorry! If it looks like tufts of cotton and some redness, put your fishie in a hospital tank and start treating right away with Maracyn I and Marcyn II together. Hopefully this one can be saved. Keep us posted. ;)

15. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Sorry about your fish :'(

16. s2reiiNew MemberMember

Thanks..

I've actually started a new tank, since I don't have the big catfish anymore I've gone for a smaller one. The little catfish seems to be alright so far, but i guess I shouldn't be speaking so early. Sorry I've never heard of "Maracyn" do they sell it in Australia? I've been recommended a medication called "melafix" apparently it's good for open wounds, smells like eucalyptus hehe well I just started the treatment today, so I'll keep you posted =)

Thanks again guys

17. s2reiiNew MemberMember

Hey guys,

Yeah the little catfish seems to be much better, all the symptoms have reversed :p went from raw pinkish looking flesh, back into the white sort of fluffly spot, to a now flat white spot (but i 'think' her skin is growing back on top of it) The "Melafix" worked =) I'm still using it though.

Keep you updated on if it heals back properly or not