catfish for 20 gal

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i was going to get 5 corys catfish for my new tank , it finished cycling this week been running for 4 weeks now...
i herd that if you get a larger catfish such as the raphael catfish,pictus or eclipse that you can house 1 or 2 not a school
just wondering your opinions on this it would be cool to have 1 or 2 very pretty catfish instead of 5 average looking fish

thanks
josh

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bump

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've got corys and an eclipse (oops). Based on my experience and your tank size I think you should stick with corys. :
My wife loves catfish, and so I've done a lot of research into what I can safely house. Most get too large for a 20 L. Corys are fun to watch and a school of 5 or 6 can be very entertaining.
If you want variety you could also get otto's or a small species of pleco (make sure you know what your buying as most plecos get too big for a 20)

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
pictus cats need a well establish aquarium no less than 55 gallon long imo
also ottos need well established tanks as well
cories are perfect for what you have 6 is a good number
hope this helps

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i was looking at leopard cory catfish would that be the same as the normal cories?

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i think so heres a link corydoras

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All corys are essentially the same. Some are a little smaller, some are a little bigger, but they are all around 2-3 inches. They prefer to be with their own kind, but they will school with others. I have 3 Julii and 3 Peppered and they all school together.

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the info guys I'm gonna try and get 3 Corydoras agassizii and 3 Corydoras ambiacus (Spotted cory)

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
alright post pics later on

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
will do, thanks again for the info guys

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i got the skunk cories x5 today and was wondering if it is normal for them to be coming up to the surface for air every 3-5 mins or so i looked it up and it said they should but I'm just wondering if they are doing it to frequently

thanks josh

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nevermind i got the answer from my buddy he said its normal

thanks anywayzzz

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
1 more quick question,
1 out of my 5 cories stays about 2 cm from the surface of the water and never goes down,
he looks a little smaller than the rest of them..
is this normal ,could he just be active and feel special that he has an entire 20 gal tank without any other community fish in it yet lol
or should i be thinking for the worst
he also looks a little "beat up" and not as pristine as the others

cheers
josh

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
please help i need to know if i should isolate this guy from the rest if it is a serious condition and how to treat it

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you should isolate him, purely as a precaution, although i'm not sure if it is a disease or not... Someone else might help you with that!

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
how can i isolate him i don't have a sperate tank i only have a fishbowl will that work?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wouldnt isolate him, because what ever he has the other fish would have been exposed to it also. Unless there is something about him (spots, discoloration etc.) we can just assume that he is stressed from all the moving and the last thing you would want to do is move him again to an uncycled environment where he could very possibly be exposed to high levels of ammonia (small uncycled tank with infrequent waterchanges).

I don't know much about fish or diseases but more people might come along to help if you give more information.

*NOTE* if you have more to add about a post, you can use the 'edit' button at the bottom right of your post to add information. It is frowned apon to 'bump' your post, especially after less than an hour.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think would work if you have a heated room, and do daily water changes, but he will be stressed. I'm not an expert tho... so wait for someone else to reply!

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i noticed him lying down on his side lifeless but still breathing so i put him in a fishbowl with water from the same aquarium so its not just tap water ..
i think hes dying
hes on his side at the bottom of the bowl...
there's nothing i can really do its 12:30 in the morning but i feel horrible
"if he passes" should i get a new one because i only have 4 now

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RIP......HES GONE

i forgot to mention that he looked really really tattered up and abused but maybe it could have been an unknown disease/infection

not sure at this point

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Top Bottom