5 Gallon Tank Catfish Eggs in my Betta and Neon Tetra Tank

PurityNWhiteRoses

Hello! So, yesterday, I witnessed my catfish (some type of Corydora) lay her eggs. I knew she was pregnant for a couple months now. I’m new to egg bearing fish and I’m not sure what to do. I know well enough not to move them. How long will they take to hatch? What should I do when the hatch? Do they need special care? Will the parents try to eat them? Anything else I should know?

My male betta adopted the eggs as his own and are protecting them. Should I be worried about him eating the hatchlings? He’s been in a community tank for most of his life and is very docile and laid back.

If you want, I can post pictures of the eggs. Thanks!!!

Cinabar

You should move them if you want babies. The others in the tank (even the parents) will happily snack on eggs or newly hatched fry. Luckily cory eggs are easy to care for. They should be very sticky- you can move them by rolling them onto your fingers, be careful not to crush them. If they're fertilized, they'll turn a dark color and hatch within a week or so. Caring for them is like any other fry. They'll feed off their yolk sac for the first few days after hatching, then you can feed them crushed food or live baby brine shrimp.

PurityNWhiteRoses

You should move them if you want babies. The others in the tank (even the parents) will happily snack on eggs or newly hatched fry. Luckily cory eggs are easy to care for. They should be very sticky- you can move them by rolling them onto your fingers, be careful not to crush them. If they're fertilized, they'll turn a dark color and hatch within a week or so. Caring for them is like any other fry. They'll feed off their yolk sac for the first few days after hatching, then you can feed them crushed food or live baby brine shrimp.
I noticed most of them are clear so far but some look like a slight yellow. In all of them, I can see a white spec that seems to move. Is that what you are talking about? I have a large 30 gallon and a large breeder box. That tank is downstairs. Do you think that the water change would be okay? Thank you so much! I appreciate your help.

Cinabar

I noticed most of them are clear so far but some look like a slight yellow. In all of them, I can see a white spec that seems to move. Is that what you are talking about? I have a large 30 gallon and a large breeder box. That tank is downstairs. Do you think that the water change would be okay? Thank you so much! I appreciate your help.
Eggs of albino corys will stay yellow. Others will turn a dark tan or brown. If you’re unsure if they’re fertilized you can let them be. Dead eggs will eventually fungus over and you should remove those immediately. Yes moving them to the bigger tank is ok. Or you can put the breeder box in your current setup, it doesn’t really matter. What’s important is preventing fish from snacking on the eggs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses
  • Snailmum
  • Snails
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Olivia Janae
  • Snails
Replies