Catfish died suddenly

AnonymousOwner
Hello, I have a 10 gallon cycled aquarium with 2 female Dalmatian mollies and two male albino Cory cats that’s about 3 or 4 months old. The water parameters:

Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 200-300 PPM
Alkalinity: 40 KH
pH: 7.2-7.8
Temp: 76-78 F

Yesterday I found a large red blotch on one of my catfish’s side although his whiskers were as usual, I did a 50% water change, vacuumed the gravel, and added stress coat. This morning however, I found him dead
Is my other Cory cat at risk and how can I fix this? Any feedback is very appreciated.

Deku-Cory
Red spots on Cories like that is usually a sign of an internal bacterial infection. It can be caused by a number of things, including poor water quality, an injury, other illnesses, stress, or genetics, so it's hard to say what happened to him exactly. Your water quality looks good, so I don't think it's that. Cories do prefer to be in groups, but I don't think him being with only one other Cory would cause enough stress to make him ill. My suggestion would be to just keep a close eye on the other Cory to see if he develops any symptoms. If he doesn't, then you can get a few more so he won't be lonely. Typically I'd recommend at least a 20 gallon for Albino Cories, but you already have the 10 gallon set up.

AnonymousOwner
Deku-Cory said:
Red spots on Cories like that is usually a sign of an internal bacterial infection. It can be caused by a number of things, including poor water quality, an injury, other illnesses, stress, or genetics, so it's hard to say what happened to him exactly. Your water quality looks good, so I don't think it's that. Cories do prefer to be in groups, but I don't think him being with only one other Cory would cause enough stress to make him ill. My suggestion would be to just keep a close eye on the other Cory to see if he develops any symptoms. If he doesn't, then you can get a few more so he won't be lonely. Typically I'd recommend at least a 20 gallon for Albino Cories, but you already have the 10 gallon set up.
Thanks a lot for the reply, I wish I could get a bigger tank if I wasn’t broke. The other Cory is a little bigger than him so I think he may fair better. Thanks again
Deku-Cory said:
Catfish number 2 now showing red gills

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom